Grounding 4 square

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
If I am running #6 coper MC to a steel 4 square or 4-11/16 steel box for a range, how do I ground to the box?

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I think my MC is stranded, does the ground screw have to be green? Or an approved lug, I was wondering what other methods people are using.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry you did say MC cable but I was thinking NM with a solid EGC. Yes you could just use a fork connector and a screw in the back of the box. There is no requirement that the screw has to be green.

Fork-Terminal-12-10-Product__27238.1502366938__60593.1535376156__08367.1535391128.jpg

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
If I install the ground to the box how to I go to the receptacle, if I go to the receptacle how to I go to the box.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the EGC inside #6 MC cable is # 10 solid. I've left it long enough to wrap around the ground screw and then to the receptacle.

BTW, use the 4 11/16 box or a deep 4" square. You'll appreciate the extra space.:thumbsup:

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I didn’t know the ground was #10 in the mc it looked like #6 as well,if it is #10 I can see pig tailing it,

kwired

Electron manager
Depending on the cover you use you may not need a pigtail out to the receptacle, solid contact of mounting yoke to box/cover is sufficient. If you insist on a conductor to receptacle even if not required by code, then you need to find a method to pigtail it.

Status
Not open for further replies.