Grounding 600 amp 1 phase service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bark

Hello,

Will I need to run a egc 1/0 aluminum from the ct can neutral to the metal rack that holds the service gear. This is an out side service with 3-200 amp disconnects feeding 3 panels. The rack is two 6" rigid pipes (10') long with 3 ft in the ground with concrete and unistrut bolted between them. The strut is what the service gear sit on. I plan to wire #6 copper from the 3 disconnects to the ground rods. I was wondering if I need to run a 1/0 aluminum wire from the ct can neutral to the steel posts. Not sure if that will work, but it is feed by parallel 500 mcm Aluminum. It wont be accessible in the ct can.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Our shop does quite a few outdoor services on metal stanchions like you've described. We usually chase a #4 bare Cu through a direct burial lay in lug bolted to one of the metal/strut crossmembers and call it good.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are landing in the CT cabinet, this would be a supply side bonding jumper AFAIK, and needs sized per 250.102(C), which for two parallel 500's for supply conductors would need a 4/0 aluminum bonding jumper.

bark

Yea, I realized that after posting here. I'm thinking just a 2/0 copper from a lug on the outside of the ct cabinet to the metal rack someplace. That lug would be bolted through to the neutral bar inside.

electricalist

I make sure the neutral is bonded in the disconnects that are mounted on the strut and go on about my day. I would bond building steel if it were in a building. Could be I've been doing it wrong now that you point it out.
Im thinking the same thing. The SSBJ is bonded at the disconnect neutral and with the bonding screw to the can , the rack electrically has its EG because the can is bolted to the rack.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

cadpoint

Where is the POCO service diagrams in all is? Most POCO's have on-line all the requirements that they require to set up
service and how they desire to see how it is grounded. The individual POCO's have various limitations on a EC being in
a CT cabinet and having any requirement to place any of their work in a CT!

Who is the POCO?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, If the grounded conductors are not electrically connected to the CT cabinet (via ground bar/lug, etc.) then you need to assure the cabinet bond as addressed in 250.92(A)&(B).
This could be accomplished by a 4/0AL (as kwired noted) jumper from your 500kcmil termination point or buy use of properly bonded metallic nipples to the bonded service gear.
With the gear mounted to the posts/rack, I see no need for a bond jumper there,.

Status
Not open for further replies.