"Grounding" a slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill1979

Occupation
Not an electrician
New construction barndominium. Meter is not attached to building. Several yards away. 2 ground rods by the meter spaced 12 ft apart. Emergency disconnect mounted next to meter. #2 green copper ran from disconnect to 200 amp panel inside barndo.

Footings poured and wet set brackets used in some areas. Also permacolumns use in shop side of barndo. The house side a separate pour from the garage side. Both floors are poured after the footings and are not attached to the footings. The floors are clay, cover with compacted sand for leveling, covered with plastic vapor barrier and the covered with 2 inches of pick board foam. And pex tubing screwed into foam for radiant heat. Then poured concrete as the finished floor.

My question is do I need a UFER ground? And is the UFER used to "groud the concrete"? Or is the UFER used to ground the system? My understanding is the system is grounded by the two rods by the meter.

How can the concrete provide ground if not making contact with the earth? If not then the UFER is being used to ground the concrete? Why would I want to ground the finished floor?
Is that even theoretically possible? When changing a panel I always stand on a piece of OSB. How is the concrete any different if on top of plactic and 2 inch foam?

Any help here would be appreciated

bill1979

Occupation
Not an electrician
There is no traditional rebar in the footing. The footings are 4ft deep holes drilled every 8 ft inside a trough. The trough gets poured and brackets get wet set over the post holes every 8ft. 6x6 posts get tied into the brackets. Thats on the house side. Cement Permacolumns are used on the garage side every 8ft. The slab will encapsulate the permacolumns.

There is no traditional rebar in the footing. The footings are 4ft deep holes drilled every 8 ft inside a trough. The trough gets poured and brackets get wet set over the post holes every 8ft. 6x6 posts get tied into the brackets. Thats on the house side. Cement Permacolumns are used on the garage side every 8ft. The slab will encapsulate the permacolumns.
Gotcha. All 250.52 qualifying electrodes present are required to be used as electrodes. Its Sounds like none of your rebar would qualify as a CEE, so put in two rods and go to the bar! 🍻

Status
Not open for further replies.