Grounding an RV Power Outlet Pedestal

Status
Not open for further replies.

teej

Is it required by NEC that a ground rod or ground circuit be connected to the ground bus on a 100 amp RV Pedestal? The ground bus is bonded to the steel pedestal body and the pedestal is buried 24 inches in the ground. The receptacles in the pedestal are all connected to this ground bus. I have seen a drawing of an RV pedestal bonded to a ground rod, but I don't know if this is required by NEC. Thanks in advance.

peter d

Re: Grounding an RV Power Outlet Pedestal

Yes, this must be connected to an equipment bonding conductor back to the power source. To rely solely on a ground rod without a bonding conductor back to the source is extremely dangerous and could have fatal consequences if a fault occurs. The impedance of the earth alone is to high to open an OCPD under fault conditions.

haskindm

I am sure many people will feel that a ground rod will need to be installed at each pedestal. Since the pedestal is only fed by one circuit (I assume) I would feel it is not required. What is required is that a grounding conductor be installed with the circuit conductors. The ground rod, if installed, is a supplemental rod. As stated previously, the presence of a ground rod does not replace the grounding conductor.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Its not what we feel, its what the NEC states.
A grounding elecrode system is not required for a building or structure supplied by a single branch circuit, and this can be a multiwire branch circuit. See 250.32(A) exception.
However, as pointed out, an equipment grounding conductor is required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Many RV pedestals have breakers and multiple receptacles. If so they are fed by a feeder and not a branch circuit.
Don

peter d

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Many RV pedestals have breakers and multiple receptacles. If so they are fed by a feeder and not a branch circuit.
Don
In that case a ground rod would be required.

teej

Thanks for all of the replies on this one. I have to get some final clarification, however. I am clear on the NEC in article 551.76 (A), where it states that exposed non-current carrying metal parts of fixed equipment, metal boxes, cabinets, and fittings that are not electrically connected to grounded equipment shall be grounded by a contious equipment grounding conductor run with the circuit conductors from service equipment or from the transformer of a secondary distribution system.

Now, 551.76 makes no mention of a grounding electrode system (ground rod), but under 250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by Feeder Circuits, which an RV Pedestal would be included under, a grounding electrode system is required and must be installed according to 250.50.

So, for final clarification, both a grounding electrode system (ground rod) and a continous grounding conductor connected to service equipment or a secondary transformer is required for each pedestal. Do I have my facts straight?
Thanks in advance.

haskindm

In my opinion you are correct. The grounding conductor is definitely required (again, my opinion) to each pedestal to provide the "low impedance fault return path". The ground rod may or may not be required depending upon whether you are feeding the pedestal with a branch circuit or a feeder. An interpretation by the AHJ may be in order unless it is clear to you what you are doing. I am not sure what good a ground rod would do. In this case it is there mostly for lightning protection. A metal pedestal mounted to the ground already provides a pretty good path for lightning.
250.32B(2) indicates that a grounding conductor is not required under certain conditions. If there are any other metallic paths between the service and these pedestals then the grounding conductor is definitely required.

Status
Not open for further replies.