Grounding and bonding disco

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch I have 200A service disconnect which feed trough. The trough is tapped first conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to utility meter to Disco #1 and second conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to second utility meter to Disco #2.

Disco #1 and #2:

1. Should it have main main bonding jumper and neutral to ground bond?

2. Metallic conduit between utility meters and Disco#1 and #2 should it be bonded by supply bonding jumper or equipment grounding conductor? If not then which bonding jumper?

3. Should Disco#1 and #2 enclosure be bonded to equipment grounding conductor? Which code section is this if yes?

Attachments

• E38306DF-6D59-481E-BA1C-37A05112688E.jpeg
    E38306DF-6D59-481E-BA1C-37A05112688E.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 16

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch I have 200A service disconnect which feed trough. The trough is tapped first conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to utility meter to Disco #1 and second conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to second utility meter to Disco #2.

Disco #1 and #2:

2. Metallic conduit between utility meters and Disco#1 and #2 should it be bonded by supply bonding jumper or equipment grounding conductor? If not then which bonding jumper?

3. Should Disco#1 and #2 enclosure be bonded to equipment grounding conductor? Which code section is this if yes?

I apologize for my ignorance. Please I am really stuck on this one. I researched on my own but I am not able to find answers in the code it’s really confusing. Utility meters on load side of breaker is it service, feeder and the questions post #1 I have no idea about. It’s really confusing. Any help from all the experts in here would be appreciated. Where is my buddy Electrofelon?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
HH I tried to help and no offense but your drawing looks like someone drank a case of beer before they drew it. Maybe you can clean it up a bit?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Please see attached sketch replace post #1. Also post #1 reposted:

Attached sketch I have 200A service disconnect which feed trough. The trough conductors is tapped: first conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to utility meter to Disco #1 and second conductors with wire equipment grounding conductor in metallic conduit go to second utility meter to Disco #2.

Disco #1 and #2:

Attachments

• DC0D0790-233A-44E9-BBC4-5EB1A831B172.jpeg
    DC0D0790-233A-44E9-BBC4-5EB1A831B172.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Assuming the 200 amp breaker is the service disconnect, there should never be any neutral bond beyond that (possible exception would be the meter bases as non-bonded bases are uncommon and some inspectors (per 250.142(b)}allow you to use bonded neutral bases beyond the service disconnect.
If its' <150 volts to ground, no bonding bushings, etc should be needed. See 250.86 for grounding emclosures.

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 480/277V three phase and I have wire as equipment grounding conductor.

Between POCO meters and Disco #1 ,#2 metallic conduits are being used. This metallic conduit are NOT used as equipment grounding conductor. I would still have to ground metallic conduit as mentioned in NEC 2014 Section 250.97 or some different code section?

Last edited:
The big question is whether that 200A "service disconnect" is actually a service disconnect or a meter disconnect switch per 230.82(3). Being that this is 480, makes it likley IMO that it is a meter disconnect. Plus, in my experiance, most POCO's dont allow cold sequenced metering unless there are more than 6 meters. If your POCO cant give you any guidance on that, I guess you will just have to make the call yourself since IIRC you are essentially the AHJ.

possible exception would be the meter bases as non-bonded bases are uncommon

Augie, in my experience, most non residential meter sockets typically have removable bond.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The big question is whether that 200A "service disconnect" is actually a service disconnect or a meter disconnect switch per 230.82(3). Being that this is 480, makes it likley IMO that it is a meter disconnect. Plus, in my experiance, most POCO's dont allow cold sequenced metering unless there are more than 6 meters. If your POCO cant give you any guidance on that, I guess you will just have to make the call yourself since IIRC you are essentially the AHJ.

Augie, in my experience, most non residential meter sockets typically have removable bond.

Ok assume 200A is service disconnect then I have 480/277V three phase and I have wire as equipment grounding conductor.

Between POCO meters and Disco #1 ,#2 metallic conduits are being used. This metallic conduit are NOT used as equipment grounding conductor. I would still have to ground metallic conduit as mentioned in NEC 2014 Section 250.97 or some different code section?

Ok assume 200A is service disconnect then I have 480/277V three phase and I have wire as equipment grounding conductor.

Sort of. Dont lose track of what section you are in: 250.97 is in part V which is bonding. That is telling you to bond everything together and how ( with the more stringent over 250 volts requirements). Augie's 250.86 reference tell you to connect the stuff you have bonded together, to the EGC (which might be another raceway that is the EGC).

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Sort of. Dont lose track of what section you are in: 250.97 is in part V which is bonding. That is telling you to bond everything together and how ( with the more stringent over 250 volts requirements). Augie's 250.86 reference tell you to connect the stuff you have bonded together, to the EGC (which might be another raceway that is the EGC).

Ok I have Wire as EGC Not conduit. so metallic conduit from POCO meter side need to be bonded to POCO meter enclosure. Also on the Disco side metallic conduit need to be bonded to Disco enclosure. So for bonding at both end would be 250.97 and 250.86 comes to play when inside the meter enclosure and Disco enclosure incoming wire equipment grounding conductor would be connected to those enclosure no? Am I correct?

Last edited:
Ok I have Wire as EGC Not conduit. so metallic conduit from POCO meter side need to be bonded to POCO meter enclosure. Also on the Disco side metallic conduit need to be bonded to Disco enclosure. So for bonding at both end would be 250.97 and 250.86 comes to play when inside the meter enclosure and Disco enclosure incoming wire equipment grounding conductor would be connected to those enclosure no? Am I correct?

the simple answer is yes: A wire EGC gets connected the the equipment ground bus in all equipment (it may be redundant if the raceway is acceptalebble as an EGC back to the MBJ, but yes thats what we do 99.93percent of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.