Grounding and Bonding in Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just thought I'd share some photos with all of you. In my recent trip to Croatia I was amazed at the level of grounding and bonding of many of the attractions, castles and buildings that had lightening protection. Almost every roof had some type of system. The first two photos show a look-out area at the top of a cable car ride. Each stainless-steel section of the barrier was bonded together with what looked like at least # 4 copper wire. In the 3rd photo the bonding was linked to a lightening protection system with what looked like # 4 SOLID wire. The last photo shows what a typical lightening protection system looks like on a clay roof. We shouldn't gripe at the level of grounding and bonding we have to do here in the USA. :cool:

Attachments

• Lightening Protection in Croatia.pdf
    336.3 KB · Views: 29

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I just thought I'd share some photos with all of you. In my recent trip to Croatia I was amazed at the level of grounding and bonding of many of the attractions, castles and buildings that had lightening protection. Almost every roof had some type of system. The first two photos show a look-out area at the top of a cable car ride. Each stainless-steel section of the barrier was bonded together with what looked like at least # 4 copper wire. In the 3rd photo the bonding was linked to a lightening protection system with what looked like # 4 SOLID wire. The last photo shows what a typical lightening protection system looks like on a clay roof. We shouldn't gripe at the level of grounding and bonding we have to do here in the USA. :cool:
I love Dubrovnik. It was a port of call for the cruise ship I worked on, years ago. An absolutely beautiful part of the world. Really good pizza place just across the street from the cruise ship terminal too 😁

I've seen that type of bonding you showed in the first photo in other parts of the world too. Probably a job spec written by a slightly overzealous engineer. As for the lightening protection, that's a bit of a black art unto itself. At lightning's amperages, voltages, and rise-times, electricity is a totally different beast and not well behaved.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.