Grounding and bonding of existing service

Mustang125

See attached image. Im pretty sure this is a code compliant install please correct me if im wrong. But this is an existing building and im not sure if there is a ufer anywhere or if anything else needs to be done to bring this up to snuff.

Grounding and Bonding.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The water pipe requires a supplemental electrode. Is there a building steel electrode?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
wouldn't that 3/0 going to steel count as my building steel electrode and the one from the water to steel as my water pipe?
Yes but, since it's an existing building why would you need to change anything that was already approved?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My post above is based on the building steel being an electrode per 250.52(A)(2)

Mustang125

its an existing building and I cant really find any grounding or bonding. So I figured id hit steel with a 3/0 then come off the steel and hit water and I should be good to go but I wasn't 100% sure so that's why I'm here.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
its an existing building and I cant really find any grounding or bonding. So I figured id hit steel with a 3/0 then come off the steel and hit water and I should be good to go but I wasn't 100% sure so that's why I'm here.
Gotcha. As I said, if the joist are connected to steel columns into the earth (foundation) you are fine.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Unless I was directed, I wouldn't bother with the connection to the water pipe. I would assume it isn't a qualifying ground or it would already be bonded.

d0nut

Unless the building steel is in direct contact with the earth vertically for 10' or more it is not a grounding electrode. It can still be used as the grounding electrode conductor or to interconnect grounding electrodes per 250.68(C), but it would not be a grounding electrode itself.