grounding & bonding audit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Is there a requirement to periodically inspect and or test your system? We currently perform this on yearly basis. It would be interesting to hear from others to see what they do!

bphgravity

There is nothing in the NEC that mandates this however there is certain criteria that is recommended or required per OSHA and IEEE standards.

cornbread

I looked at IEEE green book and did not find anty thing. if you knwo the standard numbers it would be greatly appreciated.

Frenetic

It's entirely up to the user and typically depends on the nature of the installation (i.e., is grounding ultra critical to the system and/or for power quality purposes) and environment the grounding system is installed in (i.e., poor soil conditions).

What type of installation is this?

Yearly testing is ideal if you have the resources.

76nemo

We use to build runways for airline transport and have someone come in from the union to govern our work and habits. He came in for this sole purpose. He was there to inspect bonding and grounding issues only.

joe tedesco

http://www.ul.com/regulators/2007USWhiteBookFinal.pdf

http://www.ul.com/regulators/2007USWhiteBookFinal.pdf

See the UL Directory under CABLE TRAYS (CYNW)

I believe that cable trays are supposed to be tested every six months for continuity.

This would fall under 110.3(B).

Search the UL book for testing of other products, or search the NEC for "testing" for some examples of required tests, some of which are to be made when the equipment is first installed, and where others are required.

This will give you some idea of them and you can choose what you want to include in your program.

Another good source of information, along these lines can be found in NFPA 70B

See, for examples:

Chapter 4 Why an Effective Electrical Preventive Maintenance (EPM) Program Pays Dividends
Chapter 5 What Is an Effective Electrical Preventive Maintenance (EPM) Program?
Chapter 6 Planning and Developing an Electrical Preventive Maintenance (EPM) Program
Check www.nema.org for more information on testing of products and equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.