Grounding electrode conductor identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

Got written under 250.119 for using a nice black insulated ELECTRODE grounding conductor out to the ground rods. Came into a big bunch of thhn #4. 250 .62 is the proper code reference for the electrode grounding conductor which says you are to.use bare,covered,or insulated. Nothing about color. Inspector wants me to falsely identify the conductor. Any feedback?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Augie other than colors designated for neutral conductors a GEC can be any color.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yep, inspector is wrong. He should cite a code section which he won't find.

Roger

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Why is this so hard for so many inspectors to understand? I've had this experience a number of times and have to educate them.

Smash

Just tape it green and move on to the next job. Everyone is happy sometimes it’s not worth the trouble these hard heads will just delay you from getting paid for a completed job. Tape it and forget it

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Just tape it green and move on to the next job. Everyone is happy sometimes it’s not worth the trouble these hard heads will just delay you from getting paid for a completed job. Tape it and forget it
What if it is #6 and in the wall? There is no requirement for a GEC to be green and never has been. Using black is fine and is commonly done, especially in larger sizes. The inspector needs to be educated.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I'm with you. tape 3-6" of the exposed conductor and if the inspector gives you crap after that... then throw the book at them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Other than white you can use any color you want for the GRC, however if you are under the 2017 code and you use black for the GEC, you are not permitted to use black for an ungrounded conductor in that facility.
This was never enforced as far as I know, but it is what the code says. 310.110(C). This was fixed in the 2020 code and the section was also relocated to 310.6(C).

stew

Got written under 250.119 for using a nice black insulated ELECTRODE grounding conductor out to the ground rods. Came into a big bunch of thhn #4. 250 .62 is the proper code reference for the electrode grounding conductor which says you are to.use bare,covered,or insulated. Nothing about color. Inspector wants me to falsely identify the conductor. Any feedback?
Anyhow he said he would talk to his supervisor and if he still dissagreed he would call me. No call but on line shows the correction has been removed.lol and for those of you that say to just put the tape on it i will never do that. Its a code violation because it misidentifies the conductor as an equipment grounding conductor instead of a grounding electrode conductor. 2 colors in the code are sacrisanct. White and green and they are both reserved for thier proper code section. Anthor educational success !@@

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Anyhow he said he would talk to his supervisor and if he still dissagreed he would call me. No call but on line shows the correction has been removed.lol and for those of you that say to just put the tape on it i will never do that. Its a code violation because it misidentifies the conductor as an equipment grounding conductor instead of a grounding electrode conductor. 2 colors in the code are sacrisanct. White and green and they are both reserved for thier proper code section. Anthor educational success !@@
It can be green. It is just not required.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is green only permitted for enumerated uses or it prohibited for enumerated uses like ungrounded conductors and current carrying grounded conductors like neutrals.
Requiring green as one alternative for a specific use does not by itself prohibit other uses.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is green only permitted for enumerated uses or it prohibited for enumerated uses like ungrounded conductors and current carrying grounded conductors like neutrals.
Requiring green as one alternative for a specific use does not by itself prohibit other uses.
Exactly. The code language in 250.119 requires green for EGCs, but only prohibits the use of green for "ungrounded and grounded conductors". That permits you to use green for all bonding and grounding conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Exactly. The code language in 250.119 requires green for EGCs, but only prohibits the use of green for "ungrounded and grounded conductors". That permits you to use green for all bonding and grounding conductors.
I agree. The language for other conductors like neutrals is not the same as it is for EGCs

Status
Not open for further replies.