Grounding Electrode Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the GEC cant be spliced or cut. It has to be continuous. I have had talks about this and there is alot of electricains that say the GEC has to be continuous from the service meter to both ground rods. And i had told them that it should be continous from the Service Equipment(say the meter socket) to the first (Electrode) ground rod, and then the second rod would be bonded to the first electrode. If you look at the def. Art. 100 GEC it says electrode and not (electrode"S). In saying that out in the real world in (new england) we just use one continuous wire so we dont use 3 acorn connectors- verses 2 acorn connectors.And many wire inspectors expect you to run a continuous wire and i thought you really dont need to , but i do it that way to save money on the connectors?? ANy thought on this topic?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to realize that the GEC can end at the first electrode and a bonding jumper is permitted to connect two electrodes together. The conductor is not required to be continuous.

1113920706_2.jpg

1113920864_2.jpg

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I know that the GEC cant be spliced or cut. It has to be continuous. I have had talks about this and there is alot of electricains that say the GEC has to be continuous from the service meter to both ground rods. And i had told them that it should be continous from the Service Equipment(say the meter socket) to the first (Electrode) ground rod, and then the second rod would be bonded to the first electrode. If you look at the def. Art. 100 GEC it says electrode and not (electrode"S). In saying that out in the real world in (new england) we just use one continuous wire so we dont use 3 acorn connectors- verses 2 acorn connectors.And many wire inspectors expect you to run a continuous wire and i thought you really dont need to , but i do it that way to save money on the connectors?? ANy thought on this topic?

No thoughts, just NEC:
A GEC can be spliced, see 250.62 (C) (1) and (2)
The GEC runs to the first electrode or ground rod. The conductor to the second ground rod is a bonding jumper see 250.53(C).
Many inspectors will require 1 wire and two clamps to 2 ground rods. But two wires and three clamps are OK.
Tip: use a concrete encased electrode and no ground rods are required.

Perhaps someone can post one of mike holts graphics, you can print it out and show your inspector.

I wish it would spell out (to the first electrode) Mike holts pictures are awsome but when i show them to other electricain they say that he's not the NEC code book but training material? some people are not with it i guess:blink:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wish it would spell out (to the first electrode) Mike holts pictures are awsome but when i show them to other electricain they say that he's not the NEC code book but training material? some people are not with it i guess:blink:?
This is true MH's graphics are his interpretation but they are generally correct. I think that the others have to understand that the first ground rod is the main electrode and the other is a supplemental thus it is a bonding jumper.

Do these guys expect a continuous run from the ground rod to the water pipes and any other electrode on the property? I doubt it.

Here is another very good MH graphic

1100202225_2.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The problem here is you're dealing with people who do not understand the defintions of GEC and bonding jumper. Those definitions are spelled out in the NEC.

eprice

Actually, I think the NEC does a pretty good job of spelling this out:

250.64(F)(1) The grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted to be run to any convenient grounding electrode available in the grounding electrode system where the other electrodes(s), if any, are connected by bonding jumpers that are installed in accordance with 250.53(C)

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Here is another very good MH graphic
2011 NEC added 250.68(C), which leaves some questions as to what electrode bonding jumpers can be connected to...

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding
Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes. The connection
of a grounding electrode conductor at the service, at
each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or
branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system and associated
bonding jumper(s) shall be made as specified
250.68(A) through (C).

(C) Metallic Water Pipe and Structural Metal.
Grounding
electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted
to be connected at the following locations and used
to extend the connection to an electrode(s):

(1) Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m
(5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be
permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes
that are part of the grounding electrode system.

Exception: In industrial, commercial, and institutional

buildings or structures, if conditions of maintenance and
supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the
installation, interior metal water piping located more than
1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall
be permitted as a bonding conductor to interconnect electrodes
that are part of the grounding electrode system, or as
a grounding electrode conductor, if the entire length, other
than short sections passing perpendicularly through walls,
floors, or ceilings, of the interior metal water pipe that is
being used for the conductor is exposed.

(2) The structural frame of a building that is directly connected
to a grounding electrode as specified in
250.52(A)(2) or 250.68(C)(2)(a), (b), or (c) shall be
permitted as a bonding conductor to interconnect electrodes
that are part of the grounding electrode system,
or as a grounding electrode conductor.

a. By connecting the structural metal frame to the reinforcing
bars of a concrete-encased electrode, as
provided in 250.52(A)(3), or ground ring as provided
in 250.52(A)(4)

b. By bonding the structural metal frame to one or
more of the grounding electrodes, as specified in
250.52(A)(5) or (A)(7), that comply with (2)

c. By other approved means of establishing a connection
to earth​

Status
Not open for further replies.