Grounding electrode conductors and transformerless inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a memory refresh here. What is the "summary of events" of the classification of the EGC of a transformerless inverter's output circuit. A couple years ago, we were installing some sunny tripowers, and the EGC terminal was labeled "EGC/GEC". Then I have memories of some authority or entity (UL?) clarifying that transformerless inverters do not have/require a GEC.

Finally, could the requirements/lack of requirements for a GEC for transformerless systems be different or interpreted differently in the 2008 vs 2014?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I am looking for a memory refresh here. What is the "summary of events" of the classification of the EGC of a transformerless inverter's output circuit. A couple years ago, we were installing some sunny tripowers, and the EGC terminal was labeled "EGC/GEC". Then I have memories of some authority or entity (UL?) clarifying that transformerless inverters do not have/require a GEC.

UL standards say that unless you have a grounded DC conductor, you don't need a grounding electrode conductor. Transformerless inverters can't have a grounded DC conductor so by UL they don't need a GEC. The same goes for other ungrounded inverters that might actually have a transformer (e.g. Enphase); strictly speaking what matters is whether you have a grounded DC conductor.

Despite UL, the 2014 NEC still has language requiring a GEC. (690.47) But the 2014 NEC allows this conductor to be sized to 250.122 (rather than 250.66 or 250.166). This basically makes it an EGC, size-wise, except that your AHJ might still enforce installation requirements like it being continuous (or irreversibly spliced), bonding bushings, etc. (i.e. 250.64 stuff).

The 2017 Code will dispense with all that GEC stuff for all systems except those that actually have a solidly grounded conductor. This will strip away any type of GEC requirement for all typical grid-tied systems and just require bonding (EGC). Systems with truly solidly grounded conductors would probably only be really basic old-school off-grid stuff with DC utilization. Everything else with modern inverters will just require an EGC to a (usually already existing) premises grounding electrode system.

Finally, could the requirements/lack of requirements for a GEC for transformerless systems be different or interpreted differently in the 2008 vs 2014?

Strictly speaking, the size of the GEC is the only clear difference in 2014 for ungrounded systems. There's also language about an AC equipment grounding system being permitted for inverter bonding and GDFI reference. This essentially means you don't have to run a GEC from/to the inverter. But your AHJ could possibly still require a GEC from somewhere, such as from the array, especially if your AHJ wants to enforce the godawful 690.47(D).

If you're on the 2011 code or earlier you can be required to do the whole GEC shebang from pretty much wherever the AHJ wants. At any rate the inverter type doesn't matter one wit as far as those NEC cycles are concerned.

With that said, around here (2011 code) almost none of the AHJs I work with enforce the GEC requirements for transformerless inverters. (There's one who wants it from the array, but doesn't care about the inverter.) I think the reason this isn't enforced anymore is largely because Enphase put out a white paper arguing very strongly from the UL point of view, and most AHJs didn't want to argue with installers about such a large chunk of projects, so they went along with that view, and did so generally. Your mileage may vary widely in different parts of the country, but the biggest changes should come when your location gets on the 2017 NEC or equivalent.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Note that all of this discussion does not affect the EGC requirements for the panel frames and racking (which may be connected to the case of a micro inverter or optimizer also).
And the requirement, hopefully short lived, for a GEC to an auxiliary ground electrode for the mounting system.

UL standards say that unless you have a grounded DC conductor, you don't need a grounding electrode conductor. Transformerless inverters can't have a grounded DC conductor so by UL they don't need a GEC. The same goes for other ungrounded inverters that might actually have a transformer (e.g. Enphase); strictly speaking what matters is whether you have a grounded DC conductor.

Despite UL, the 2014 NEC still has language requiring a GEC. (690.47) But the 2014 NEC allows this conductor to be sized to 250.122 (rather than 250.66 or 250.166). This basically makes it an EGC, size-wise, except that your AHJ might still enforce installation requirements like it being continuous (or irreversibly spliced), bonding bushings, etc. (i.e. 250.64 stuff).

The 2017 Code will dispense with all that GEC stuff for all systems except those that actually have a solidly grounded conductor. This will strip away any type of GEC requirement for all typical grid-tied systems and just require bonding (EGC). Systems with truly solidly grounded conductors would probably only be really basic old-school off-grid stuff with DC utilization. Everything else with modern inverters will just require an EGC to a (usually already existing) premises grounding electrode system.

Strictly speaking, the size of the GEC is the only clear difference in 2014 for ungrounded systems. There's also language about an AC equipment grounding system being permitted for inverter bonding and GDFI reference. This essentially means you don't have to run a GEC from/to the inverter. But your AHJ could possibly still require a GEC from somewhere, such as from the array, especially if your AHJ wants to enforce the godawful 690.47(D).

If you're on the 2011 code or earlier you can be required to do the whole GEC shebang from pretty much wherever the AHJ wants. At any rate the inverter type doesn't matter one wit as far as those NEC cycles are concerned.

With that said, around here (2011 code) almost none of the AHJs I work with enforce the GEC requirements for transformerless inverters. (There's one who wants it from the array, but doesn't care about the inverter.) I think the reason this isn't enforced anymore is largely because Enphase put out a white paper arguing very strongly from the UL point of view, and most AHJs didn't want to argue with installers about such a large chunk of projects, so they went along with that view, and did so generally. Your mileage may vary widely in different parts of the country, but the biggest changes should come when your location gets on the 2017 NEC or equivalent.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I understand the theory that you cant ground a transformerless DC conductor, but I agree the language in the code is a bit unclear as to if its an GEC and what its doing. Note that ungrounded SDS's still require a GEC even though it is only used to earth the metal parts, not a system conductor, but of course a transformerless isnt an SDS.

We have a 1 meg system where the inspector wants irreversible splices on the EGC's. Its actually not a huge deal, as we have the tool and may have done it anyway, but this is the first time I have run into this so I just wanted to pick y'alls' brains.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Probably your only good bet if you want avoid the extra work is to show him the 2017 NEC. But unless the location is about to adopt that code in 3.5 months then you'd probably have to give him what he wants.

Carultch

The GEC terminal on these inverters probably exists because of habit in the design process, or because of the uncertainty as to whether the NEC or AHJ would require one anyway, even if there is no need to.

In any case, it is still connected internally to the same equipment grounding system.

Status
Not open for further replies.