Grounding electrode size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Master electrician, licensed contractor
I have a 300 amp service upgrade with a double lug meter. I’m planning on coming off the meter to the existing 150 amp main breaker panel then setting a nema 3 main breaker 150 amp panel outside for an EV and a hot tub. Do I size my grounding electrode for 300 amp or for 150 amp?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Size your common grounding electrode conductor to your 300ampere ungrounded conductors, than size your taps off that to each 150amp service disconnect conductor sizes.

I believe this is correct. If not someone feel free to put your input.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where is the existing main breaker panel? The two service disconnects will need to be grouped. You can size the GEC according to the SEC's feeding the meter and tap off to each service disconnect with a split bolt.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have a 300 amp service upgrade with a double lug meter. I’m planning on coming off the meter to the existing 150 amp main breaker panel then setting a nema 3 main breaker 150 amp panel outside for an EV and a hot tub. Do I size my grounding electrode for 300 amp or for 150 amp?
Look at table 250.66. Grounding electrode conductor is sized to the incoming conductor size, not the amperage, so technically the answer is neither.

Occupation
Look at table 250.66. Grounding electrode conductor is sized to the incoming conductor size, not the amperage, so technically the answer is neither.
Yes, I should have said wire size but in my head I’m thinking service size and over current

Occupation
Where is the existing main breaker panel? The two service disconnects will need to be grouped. You can size the GEC according to the SEC's feeding the meter and tap off to each service disconnect with a split bolt.
Both service disconnects will be outside

Occupation
Why not use two #6s then?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out if I can do. I would like to pull #6 gec ,which is the size required for 2/0, since I’ll have 2-150 amp main breakers or if I have to size the gec based on the 350’s. It sounds like you believe I can run a #6 gec to each main?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That’s what I’m trying to figure out if I can do. I would like to pull #6 gec ,which is the size required for 2/0, since I’ll have 2-150 amp main breakers or if I have to size the gec based on the 350’s. It sounds like you believe I can run a #6 gec to each main?
Yes, you can run a single GEC based on the 350 kcmil SEC's and tap off to the service disconnects or you can run a separate GEC to each service disconnect based off of the #2/0 SEC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.