Grounding Electrode System/Structure "Served"

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Several years back I was reading an exchange between one of our E&I inspectors and a EE, here is a snip-it:

In particular, please note that there is no NEC requirement for a grounding electrode of any sort unless the structure is “served” by a utility, separately derived source, a feeder, or 2 or more branch circuits.

This is in reference to ufer grounds at a structure without power and NEC 250.50 which states:

All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

I have 2 questions:
1) When does the NEC consider a building or structure to be served?
2) The engineer indicated its "served" by a utility, separately derived source, a feeder, or 2 or more branch circuits. I'm not familiar with IEE standards or other code bases, is this a reference from some other place or maybe just his opinion? He seems to be on to something.....

A similar situation has arisen so I'm going back to old information for reference.......

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's served when it has electricity brought to it. If it has a single circuit (or MWBC) it does not required a GES because it is not served by a utility, an SDS, a feeder or 2 or more branch circuits. If it is not electrified then nothing is required.

quantum

It's served when it has electricity brought to it. If it has a single circuit (or MWBC) it does not required a GES because it is not served by a utility, an SDS, a feeder or 2 or more branch circuits. If it is not electrified then nothing is required.
Can you cite a reference to this? Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If there is no electrical power at the location, the NEC does not apply...it only applies where:
90.2(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and removal of electrical conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and
communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:
If none of those things are at the building or structure, that building or structure is outside the scope of the NEC.

Last edited:

quantum

If there is no electrical power at the location, the NEC does not apply...it only applies where:
(quote] 90.2(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and removal of electrical conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and
communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:
If none of those things are at the building or structure, that building or structure is outside the scope of the NEC.
[/QUOTE]
Excellent point.

Status
Not open for further replies.