Grounding Electrode System

Status
Not open for further replies.

thais

I have a question about the location of the ground rod for a grounding electrode system. I usually provide a ground rod connected to the buidling steel, the water pipe and to the main service disconnect. I have always thought that the grounding electrode rod should be connected to the main service disconnect. I have a situation where I am relocating the service meter and ct away from the building. I am adding a new fused automatic transfer switch at the new location. Should I provide a new ground rod at the new ats and connect it to the existing rod at the building? The distance from the new service to the building is about 200 feet. At the building there is no disconnect. Currently, there are five breakers in the main panel that are each serving as a service disconnect.

benaround

thias,

OK so you moved the main service 200' away from the original location,

added an ATS, this is your main disconnect now, correct??

This is a good one,. because now the old service is supplied by feeders,so

the neutrals and grounding conductors must be seperated at the old location

and the GEC's all connect at the new main disconnect. Just for starters.

Bea

If the ATS is remote from structure and no grounding electrode is present then must install a grounding electrode system at that location and float neutrals and grounds at old service location and take the grounding electrodes present at that structure to that disconnect's equipment grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.