Grounding Electrode System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

A residence has a metal underground water pipe. A electrician installs a service upgrade. He attaches a grounding electrode conductor 5 ft. from the point of entrance of the water service entrance and also drives 2 ground rods. So all seems code compliant. There is a water meter between the water pipe entrance and the point of the gec attachment. There is a jumper between the water meter. My question is should the egc. extend all the way to the street side of the water meter unbroken or be spliced as permitted by the NEC ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Grounding Electrode System.

Romeo, if the water service is metal all the way to the street, the amount of metal in the ground to the street should suffice without worrying about jumping around the meter, but in any case a bonding jumper (splice or non-continuous if you will) would be fine.

I may not understand your question though.

Roger

romeo

Roger My concern for the jumper at the water meter is to protect a person replacing the meter from
becoming a path to the under ground water pipe. Thanks for your reply. I just think that the gec should be solid all the way to the street side of the meter
and bonded at both sides of the meter.

bphgravity

I don't feel bonding around removable equipment such as meters is for protection of persons at all. It is simply to ensure electrical continuity along the system.

romeo

Back to my first question. Should the gec be solid all the way to the street side of the meter or is it ok to attach it 5ft. from the point of entrance of the water pipe and put a bonding jumper across the water meter ?

Remember that this residential.

bphgravity

I would connect at the most convienent location not more than 5' from the point of entrance and ensure that the underground portion consists of at least 10'. If there is anything that may compromise that 10' section I would bond around it. And as Roger stated, there is no need to go all the way to the street.

[ October 17, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Romeo, the connection need be within 5' of entrance only if you wish to use the pipe as an electrode, and even then, you must be able to show (if asked) that there is at least 10' unbroken in the ground.

Especially with two rods, a connection anywhere on the pipe system suffices for bonding the pipe to ground.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by romeo:
...is it ok to attach it 5ft. from the point of entrance of the water pipe and put a bonding jumper across the water meter ?
It's perfectly fine. The bonding jumper would need to be sized according to 250.66 just like the GEC.

Remember that this residential.
And? :D

Check out this thread and then ask yourself the following question: If the electrodes can be connected with bonding jumpers, why can't a interruption on one electrode be jumped as well? It's the same thing. ;)

macmikeman

Boys and girls, I hate to keep pointing this out but the gec only needs to be landed on the pipe within 5' of where it enters the building if you are connecting to the qualified by soil contact water pipe on the "interior" of the building. See 250.52 for the exact wording.

macmikeman

That would depend I guess on whether it snows where you live. They live out by the sidewalk where I am at. It was something similar in S. Florida.

electricmanscott

Romeo, connection is fine, no need to hit the "street side" first. Have him bond around the meter with a couple ground clamps and a piece of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.