Grounding electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliolagos

Can my structure rebar be my grounding electrode, will it deteriorate; my tests show it has less resistance than a rod making it ideal for grounding which seems to not be working as ground at all , seven deadly grounding sins says it will deteriorate the structure. I tried the ground rod in a well adobe the water and it’s not showing any grounding capacity , does a ground rod even work as intended some all ground is not the same diferente resistance how does one compensate

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The answer is not a simple yes or no. The answer is a legal grounding electrode is defined in the code sometimes the rebar in the concrete is a legal grounding electrode sometimes it's not. As far as whether it is a good ground or not it really doesn't matter. What you need to do is meet the minimum requirements the code requires to get all of the dubious benefits of the grounding electrode.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A ufer ground or a concrete encased electrode is a far better electrode than a ground rod. If I had to choose between the two then there is no doubt I would choose a concrete encased electrode. The concrete encased electrode is the rebar in a footing that is tied to the service equipment with a minimum #4 copper conductor.

Here is what the NEC states... I know you are in Mexico so I don't know if that matters

(3) Concrete-Encased Electrode. A concrete-encased electrode
shall consist of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of either (1) or (2):
(1) One or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically
conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not
less than 13 mm (1∕2 in.) in diameter, installed in one
continuous 6.0 m (20 ft) length, or if in multiple pieces
connected together by the usual steel tie wires, exothermic
welding, welding, or other effective means to create a
6.0 m (20 ft) or greater length; or
(2) Bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG
Metallic components shall be encased by at least 50 mm
(2 in.) of concrete and shall be located horizontally within that
portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct
contact with the earth or within vertical foundations or structural
components or members that are in direct contact with
the earth. If multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present
at a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only
one into the grounding electrode system.

Buck Parrish

Can my structure rebar be my grounding electrode, will it deteriorate; my tests show it has less resistance than a rod making it ideal for grounding which seems to not be working as ground at all , seven deadly grounding sins says it will deteriorate the structure. I tried the ground rod in a well adobe the water and it’s not showing any grounding capacity , does a ground rod even work as intended some all ground is not the same diferente resistance how does one compensate

If you're building the houses on a slab. Use the concrete encased rebar. But you'll need to hide the copper sticking out during construction. Otherwise it will get cut stolen. The metal water line is best. But you'll likely be using plastic for that.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For the Ufer ground stub up a lenght of 1/2" rebar thru the slab. Connect your GEC to the rebar with an acron clamp (check listing). If this is in a finished wall put a 2 gang mud ring opposite to allow accessibility.

If you use a metallic water line you will need to supplement with another electrode, normally ground rods. Use the Ufer and you are done

Status
Not open for further replies.