Grounding electrodes and conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
My dad's place- we are getting it ready to sell, and have to ground the service panel- 100 amp (#4 copper SEC), currently grounded to a water pipe near the panel.
The water service enters across the house from the panel, with no easy access to outdoors. The closest access to a place to drive ground rods is in the opposite direction from the water line.
So, my read is I have to drive two rods, and run #8 copper GEC to them from the panel. I also have to run a separate GEC to the water line at the entry point. And it has to be #8 too.

Is this correct?
Thanks,
DP

And if I want to be a nice guy, and size these so the next owner doesn't have to redo it when they upgrade to a 200 amp panel, the GEC to the water pipe has to be #4, and the GEC to the rods has to be #6?

This seems to be close to a DIY project.

Personally, I would not worry all that much about what someone might or might not do in the future.

I just can't get past the 30-50 dollars more in wire cost for the larger wire, and no difference in my time, vs. someone else spending hundreds to redo it later.
Not sure what you mean by DIY? Yes, it's DIY for me- the whole project is...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.