Grounding Electrodes question (ground rods)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for your comments they were helpful. Dennis, that's the way I'd like it done. (Why can't the contractor just leave it below grade with termination exposed?) They can fill around it afterward.

As far as 250.53(A)(1) goes I figure the the language 'permanent moisture level' basically means to ensure the rod extends below the frost line due to the resistivity of ice.

Not all areas have a "frost line".

Dry soil generally has more resistance than moist soil.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Other mentioned issues aside, the connection to the rod is required to be flush with or below ground level unless you protect it from physical damage. It would be foolish to build something to protect two ground rod ends rather than just drive them flush.

Not only to protect the connections from physical damage, but also to protect the tires on a Porsche SUV from physical damage. :roll:

(Grounding ring for radio tower / tall grass / connection to rods exposed for inspection that came a couple years later.....)

Edit to add: The rods never were pounded below grade. The conductors are 6 inch wide copper straps with special bolt on connectors not rated for DB, but are rated for wet locations. After the inspection was passed, the area was to be fenced in, thus protecting the rods and connections thereto. This is part of the lightning protection of a 200 foot tall metal rotating monopole tower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.