Grounding gas pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Bonding CSST extensions to appliances is a gas & plumbing code issue, and depends on CSST insulation listing.
As already noted, a manufactured gas appliance connector is not CSST. And CSST can't be used as an appliance connector. Some CSST needs special bonding as part of its listing but is not part of the NEC. There is also CSST that does not require the "special" bonding as part of its listing.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I think I see where this is going. May I also request the make and model number of the meter? I have a $400 clamp meter and I don't believe anything it says below an amp.
Yeah...it seems to be the same nature of question from the same area with just a different name.. So curious.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
but to HVAC equipment it is a flexible, insulated CSST pipe that is used.
That's a connection whip, not CSST. It doesn't require anything as far as bonding.
Is IMG below of flexible-gas line to FAU, a connection whip, not CSST (not subject to bonding)?
As already noted, a manufactured gas appliance connector is not CSST. And CSST can't be used as an appliance connector.
Is IMG below of flexible-gas line to FAU an illegal connector, or is that not CSST?

Attachments

• CSST Extension.jpg
    CSST Extension.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 6

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is IMG below of flexible-gas line to FAU, a connection whip, not CSST (not subject to bonding)?

Is IMG below of flexible-gas line to FAU an illegal connector, or is that not CSST?
It is an appliance connector, legal, but not CSST.

This is CSST:
1694973970681.jpeg 1694974040828.jpeg 1694974093740.jpeg

retirede

So this OP (new) has started three threads, all about some “fringe” grounding issues, and has since gone dark.
Maybe we’re being trolled?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
It is an appliance connector, legal, but not CSST.

This is CSST:
View attachment 2567525 View attachment 2567527 View attachment 2567528
Thank you Larry.

Larry has always been a most generous forum member, giving delinquent trolls more than we deserve. Therefore, in the spirit of such generosity let us cite some authority having jurisdiction.

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tube (CSST) mandates #6cu bonding vs Flexible Appliance Connectors (FAC)

The above IFGC, IRC, CSA/ANSI LC-1 reference are likely adopted by most state codes. My state currently adopts the #6 bond for CSST thru the plumbing code, and gas code 2021 NFPA-54 7.12.2.2

All CSST requires #6cu bond, regardless of NFPA-70.
"Other than CSST" may use appliance EGC, per Electrical NFPA-70 & Gas NFPA-54 7.12.1

7.12.1 Pipe and Tubing Other than CSST.
Each above ground portion of a gas piping system, other than CSST, that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be considered to be bonded when it is connected to appliances that are connected to the appliance grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.