Grounding Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkylu3

Occupation
Journeyman
Installed a 250kw diesel generator, engineer called for 2/0 for grounding electrode. Electrical Inspector failed it because he said it must be a 3/0 because the line side of the main disconnect is 3 sets of 400‘s as per 250.66. I agree with the inspector but the engineer is pushing back saying that is not the way to figure ground size for generator, can someone please tell me where to find the the proper grounding size, thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The devil is going to be in the details. If the generator is a SDS (Neutral is switched in the T/S) then there must be a grounding electrode system and 3/0 would be the correct size based on the (3) 400s unless you are connecting to a ground rod or UFER ground where there are exceptions on GEC size.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In grounding and bonding, use of the correct terms is vital.
Review the NEC definitions for grounding electrode conductor and grounding, snd ssk your question again.
Or, "what color is it and what does it do" Mike Holt.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Installed a 250kw diesel generator, engineer called for 2/0 for grounding electrode. Electrical Inspector failed it because he said it must be a 3/0 because the line side of the main disconnect is 3 sets of 400‘s as per 250.66. I agree with the inspector but the engineer is pushing back saying that is not the way to figure ground size for generator, can someone please tell me where to find the the proper grounding size, thanks
I'm not surprised that you're getting push back from the engineer. This sounds like a boiler plate sizing which we see often. We had a drawing that listed the GEC sizes based on the kva size of each transformer regardless of the derived conductor size. How did the engineer come up with #2/0?

Status
Not open for further replies.