Grounding in and industrial building

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-decherd

Sirs,

I have a general contractor planning on using the driven steel pylons as the only grounding means in the building. Is there anything in writing you know of that states not to do this? I thought I read somewhere that it is not recommended due to a non- conductive coating forming on the pylon which sets up a high resistance, but I can not remember where I read this.

This is on an industrial site and is not the service entrance to the plant. It is a remote building fed from a 13.8kv distribution system.

I normally use seperate ground rods, 3/4" x 10 feet, and a connection to a metal water pipe and building steel where the service entrance to the building is located. The general is demanding that this not be done.

gcaviness

I would contact the local jurisdiction having authority and see what year National Electrical Code is being used for enforcement. Also depending on the size of the building the local jurisdiction may require Engineer stamped drawings that show the electrical service and the grounding required. If that is the case you will install the service and grounding per the approved job site copy of stamped plans.

If that is not the case see below:

If it is the 2005 you need to also think about the 'ufer' concrete encased electrode. Please go to 250-50 and you will be in the section that will guide you to the correct grounding.

Gary

bphgravity

I would think that driven steel would be "better" electrodes than probably any other possible electrode you could use. I wouldn't bother with any other electrodes unless they happen to be present.

cipher31

250-50 does allow it with certain requirements.

As a side note, most international projects use the rebar within the structural piles as the preferred grounding method and structural steel has a much greater conductive area than rebar

Status
Not open for further replies.