Grounding NM connectors????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess it's the AHJ's call but I just don't see how it is likely to be energized.....

You put a wire nut on the wire in the box stuff it in the box and the wirenut falls off and touches the metal plate. Unusual and unlikely someone would touch a plate in the middle of a ceiling and be grounded but that vacuum extension could do it. :D

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
You put a wire nut on the wire in the box stuff it in the box and the wirenut falls off and touches the metal plate. Unusual and unlikely someone would touch a plate in the middle of a ceiling and be grounded but that vacuum extension could do it. :D

Maybe we should change the verbage to read "likely to become energized when pigs fly":)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Okay so this definitely appears to be an ahj call. I was thinking what is likely to be energized. I would bet that everyone hear knows someone who has overtightened an nm cable clamp and shorted it out. I must say I have never done so but I have had employees that have and I know many people who have---so does that mean it is likely to be energized. Not likely if I do it-- does that count :D.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It doesn't matter if the NM connector is likely to become energized, it is required to be bonded by 250.4(A)(3).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I guess the bottom line is that the cable clamp should match the box: metal for metal and plastic for plastic.

LJSMITH1

"Likely to become energized" can mean different things in different contexts. In this application, the likely way that the fitting would become energized is by poor workmanship (i.e. incorrect stripping or damaging of sheath on NM) or installation practice (i.e. NM pulled tight enough 90 degrees to fitting to damage insulation)

The bottom line is that if the standard fitting is rated for NM, and used in a dry location, or a location where no additional corrosion protection is required, then it would be acceptable to use with a PVC box....IMHO..

M. D.

Well at first I thought ,.." Oh good God not another switch is an outlet thread":smile: But at the same time ,..I am required to bond metallic blanks on plastic junction boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.