Grounding of boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
When does a metal, noncurrent-carrying part of an outlet box NOT need to be grounded? For example, plastic luminaire boxes with metal brackets for the box to slide on. I know I'm reaching here but there is a chance for one of the 2 metal screws to become accidentally energized by conductor with damaged insulation that has been pushed back in the box.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When does a metal, noncurrent-carrying part of an outlet box NOT need to be grounded? For example, plastic luminaire boxes with metal brackets for the box to slide on. I know I'm reaching here but there is a chance for one of the 2 metal screws to become accidentally energized by conductor with damaged insulation that has been pushed back in the box.
I guess it is "possible", but would that trigger a need to ground the bracket?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The recessed head surrounded by plastic makes such bonding unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.