Grounding of Lighting Showroom Fixtures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggy2

I'm doing some consulting for a lighting showroom renovation. Currently, there is plugmold at the ceiling, and for ceiling fixtures, the retail folks put a 2 wire cord cap on the zip cord coming out of the canopy (usually quite long...). The bare copper ground wire is left coiled up at the canopy - mostly because they probably have a bunch of 2 wire cord caps - but also because no one has ever told them different. All of these fixtures are accessible, and it's likely they will be touched by browsing customers. the fixture strap is screwed to 2x4s (wood) supported by steel webs - so no ground via the attachment.

question is - do the display fixtures have to be grounded? Is there any exception for retail products on display? I suspect the fixtures are not "temporary" (less than 90 days), but neither are they really permanently installed.

I'm also looking into other methods of connecting fixtures. The plugmold seems OK to me, but they don't like it. I am looking into track, light duty lighting buss, or even a light track/support grid. But there needs to be a relatively simple method of attaching the connection, as the retail folks do it. And if it incorporated a ground, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.