Grounding of Metal Veneers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a building that we generated electrical design drawings for that has metal veneer paneling on sheathing the exterior walls. The architect recently found a section in the International Building Code which calls for the grounding of metal veneers (which makes sense).

"1405.10.4 Grounding. Grounding of metal veneers on buildings shall comply with
the requirements of Chapter 27 and ICC Electrical Code."

My question is how is this accomplished. This building has a lightning protection system consisting of air terminals and downconductors. Can the metal veneers be bonded to the down conductors and lightning protection system? Or would it be better to bond them together and then bond them to the structural steel? Or is there a better way to go about this? I'm really just looking for the best method to accomplish grounding of the metal veneers so I can provide direction to the architect and contractor. Any help is appreciated.

bphgravity

Chapter 27 of the IBC and the administrative provisions of the ICC electrical code directly reference the NFPA 70 for compliance. The NEC does not require metal siding to be grounded/bonded.

So this becomes a judgment call of the AHJ or inspector. Unless there is an obvious condition or aspect of the installation that indicates the siding is likely to become energized by a circuit, bonding may not be required.

If it becomes the case thatbonding is requested, allow the inspector/ahj explain a method for compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.