GROUNDING SERVICE ENTRANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE ENGINEER SHOWS US TO PROVIDE A 2,500 AMP MAIN DISCONNECT ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING AND A 2,500 AMP MAIN DISTRIBUTION PANEL ON THE INTERIOR OF THE BUILDING WITH A MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER. THEY SHOW NO GROUNDING DONE AT THE MAIN SWITCH BUT ALL OUR GROUNDING DONE AT THE MAIN DISTRIBUTION. THEY ALSO SHOW NO GROUNDING CONDUCTOR INSTALLED IN THE CONDUITS FROM THE UTILITY TRANSFORMER (I AGREE) AND NO GROUNDING CONDUCTORS INSTALLED FROM THE MAIN SWITCH TO THE MAIN DISTRIBUTION (I DISAGREE). I BELIEVE ACCORDING TO THE 2011 CODE SECTION 250.24 APPLIES HERE. I HAVE QUESTIONED THE ENGINEER ABOUT JUST DOING AWAY WITH THE MAIN SWITCH AS WE HAVE A MAIN IN OUR MDP BUT THEY SAY THE UTILITY REQUIRES THIS. I AM NOT SURE BUT I BELIEVE WE ARE NOT COMPLYING WITH THE CODE HERE. PLEASE SEND COMMENTS. THANKS.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"The Utility Requires This" make it a bit sticky. I've not ever seen that requirement on such a large service..around here it is usually a requirement on self-contained metering...
That said, if it's a utility required switch and they have control over it, 230.82 allows a "meter disconnect switch" ahead of the service disconnect. With that wording, if this is a POCO meter disconnect switch. IMO, your service disconnect would be your panel and the grounded conductor could be used to bond your outside switch and your service panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.