Grounding Steel Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if Im in the right place of the forum but here goes.
Im working as a site M & E Eng. on a construction site and a question was raised that I cannot answer confidently.
We are erecting a steel structure and site safety requested "temporary grounding of the structure". I assume for electrical protection but mostly for lightning protection.
Id appreciate any help in pointing me to the right location to find what code requires if any and/or recommended industry practices.
Obviously all code requirements would be in place upon completion. Now to then is about 1 year.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don't know if Im in the right place of the forum but here goes.
Im working as a site M & E Eng. on a construction site and a question was raised that I cannot answer confidently.
We are erecting a steel structure and site safety requested "temporary grounding of the structure". I assume for electrical protection but mostly for lightning protection.
Id appreciate any help in pointing me to the right location to find what code requires if any and/or recommended industry practices.
Obviously all code requirements would be in place upon completion. Now to then is about 1 year.

Thanks

How would grounding it improve site safety any? It is likely already effectively grounded anyway. It may well qualify as a grounding electrode in which case it is required to be grounded anyway.

If the want it bonded and are just using the term grounded instead, than run a green wire of the appropriate size from the structure to the ground bar of the temporary power panel.

If lightning protection is what they are looking for a UL listed company will need to design it for you.

Last edited:
How would grounding it improve site safety any? It is likely already effectively grounded anyway. It may well qualify as a grounding electrode in which case it is required to be grounded anyway.

If the want it bonded and are just using the term grounded instead, than run a green wire of the appropriate size from the structure to the ground bar of the temporary power panel.

If lightning protection is what they are looking for a UL listed company will need to design it for you.

Im working where the term or concept of UFER ground is unknown. I assume from your reply that's what you mean.

Slab is supported by 90+ 70ft long concrete piles. [Concrete encased electrodes?] Structure is anchored by bolts that tie into the rebar of the pile caps and slab. Anchor bolts were not specifically bonded to the rebar.

Now does the oil industry require anything specific on the subject?

Standards

Standards

Local standard is a mixture of older NEC and BS combined with a bit of good engineering practice.

Again client has "safety officer" on site, but rather doubt they know much about what they are doing. May be a bit of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

So my basic question is:

1. if I were erecting a steel structure in the general USA, would it need to be "grounded" whilst under construction?

2. If yes, what constitutes a proper ground while the whole building is being constructed. Assume the building will be properly grounded at final testing handover etc.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.