Grounding system design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathan1987

Occupation
Electrical design engineer
Is there any resource that will explain how to size different parts of the grounding system based on NEC 250. I am preparing a grounding riser.I need to learn how to size supply side bonding jumpers, Equipment grounding conductor, grounding electrode conductor, bonding jumper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Tom, Mike's book or videos. There is also Soares book on grounding which was kind of the bible of bonding and grounding before Mike hit the scene.

The 5 things that you asked about are not that difficult once you figure out where to look for the sizes in the codebook. There are many here who can help you with that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the sizing of those conductors is very clearly covered in Article 250. In most cases, you get the size directly from a table in the article.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion the sizing of those conductors is very clearly covered in Article 250. In most cases, you get the size directly from a table in the article.
I agree, Art 250 is fairly easy to use.
BUT, it’s very important to get your terms correct. For example what we call grounding is usually bonding.
Mike Holt once said “what color is it and what does it do”?
And review all the grounding and bonding definitions in Art 100.
An electrician will say need to pull a #12 ground.
The code will say, use a 12 awg conductor EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.