Grounding the copper water pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Hey guys, I'm doing repairs for a house being sold and the home inspector called for grounding the copper water pipe. He took a picture of where the water enters the building from the service. The problem is the water main enters the building opposite side from the electrical panel/service. Can I ground the copper water pipe at a spicket that is 10 feet from the service drop? TIA.

gar

Occupation
EE
210314-1355 EDT

patricknola:

Is the water line from the street to the water meter in the house a continuous copper or steel pipe? Can you prove it? If you can prove it, then that incoming water line is a far better ground rod than any ground rod that you are likely to drive in the earth.

At my home I have a 150 ft long 1.25" diameter copper water line from the street, and I have no other ground rod. My water line is my ground rod. There is a ground rod at my pole transformer pole. That ground at the pole is a wimp compared to my water line.

For an incoming water line to be a useful grounding electrode you must connect to that pipe before the water meter, or provide a jumper around the meter.

Buck Parrish

250.68 (C) 1 Calls for the water line to be used as part of the electrode system. It's likely bonded through the equipment grounding conductor of the water heater.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's an electrode the connection to the GEC must be within 5' of the pipe entry into the structure. If not an electrode (like plastic pipe) then the water piping system is required to be bonded which can be at any convenient point along the water pipe. {250.104(A)}

kwired

Electron manager
250.68 (C) 1 Calls for the water line to be used as part of the electrode system. It's likely bonded through the equipment grounding conductor of the water heater.
But the EGC for the water heater likely doesn't meet all the requirements needed for a GEC.

plus only part of inside water piping that is a part of the GES is the first five feet of entry presuming there is at least 10 feet of metallic piping in the ground

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The incoming water pipe is an electrode, if it meets the definition of the electrode per NEC. Otherwise it needs to be bonded.
Also, the HI (home inspector) may be confusing between bonding and grounding.

Buck Parrish

But the EGC for the water heater likely doesn't meet all the requirements needed for a GEC.

plus only part of inside water piping that is a part of the GES is the first five feet of entry presuming there is at least 10 feet of metallic piping in the ground
Yes you're right. that's why I inserted the article so the OP could read it.

kwired

Electron manager
The incoming water pipe is an electrode, if it meets the definition of the electrode per NEC. Otherwise it needs to be bonded.
Also, the HI (home inspector) may be confusing between bonding and grounding.
And whether or not the incoming is a qualifying electrode makes a difference in where you must connect to it. If it is an electrode you must conn3ct within 5 feet of entry. Interior metal piping only (non metallic incoming line) you can bond pretty much anywhere in the building that is accessible.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
And whether or not the incoming is a qualifying electrode makes a difference in where you must connect to it. If it is an electrode you must conn3ct within 5 feet of entry. Interior metal piping only (non metallic incoming line) you can bond pretty much anywhere in the building that is accessible.
Yup. That is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.