Grounding the secondary of a step-up 3 phase transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Joethemechanic,
Interesting, now you are saying it's not AC. Does that transformer you bought have AC in and DC out now?

The plot thickens.

I'm not the one who bought a transformer

I am the guy who uses vice grips to for welding ground (work) clamps, jumper cables, and to connect emergency generators. Where in that statement do I say any of those circuits are AC?

Ok the emergency generator hook ups are AC, but I never said that. And do you really think that my vice grip clamps are inferior to alligator clips with a spring in them? I know from using them for at least 40 years that they are superior to anything I have been able to buy off the shelf. The clamping pressure at the jaw is what makes them work so well. You never get the pressure out of a spring that you can get from the over center locking mechanism that lock a pair of vise grips.

I might also add that the jaw of a pair of vise grips is hardened. I've yet to see a hardened alligator clip

And alligator clips are made out of steel also.

What is the point you are trying to make? That they are going to fail? I already know what happens that makes them fail if pushed hard enough, and it isn't from induced currents in the steel.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Ok, the only vice grips I could find a jaw pressure rating for was a little 7 inch pair. It is rated 2,000 pounds at the tip of the jaw. As you move toward the root, it gets even stronger.

Can you buy alligator clips that are capable of one ton of pressure at the tips?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
WE have gone far astray from the first post.
Not that this is uncommon, but it looks like we are moving towards personal attacks, so in a pre-emptive strike I am closing this thread.

As always, the OP, or others, are free to appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.