grounding to rebar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

if you ground to the 20 ft. section of rebar inthe footing or foundation is it still necessary to supplement it with one or more ground rods? is a acorn fitting suitable as a means for grounding to the rebar or is there a listed fitting for this applicaption ?show one if posible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you use the CEE you never need a ground rod. The fitting used to connect to the CEE needs to be listed for the purpose.

macmikeman

infinity said:
If you use the CEE you never need a ground rod. The fitting used to connect to the CEE needs to be listed for the purpose.

True enough Trevor, but somebody in engineering management at my local poco needs to be informed about that fact. The poco installation manual for our area requires a ground rod supplemental to the H20 electrode, and you will not get a hookup approval until the rod is installed. So therefore the house I completed a rough in yesterday has a water pipe electrode, a CEE electrode and a single ground rod. Long live ground rods!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
macmikeman said:
True enough Trevor, but somebody in engineering management at my local poco needs to be informed about that fact.

Maybe you should be the one to inform them.

macmikeman

infinity said:
Maybe you should be the one to inform them.

Trust me, I tried. They keep refering me to the customer installation manual, and the manual says no ground rod, no hookup. It only took 10 years or so for them to come up to speed on what to do when the incoming water line was plastic, so in 10 more years I will let you know how it turns out.

JohnJ0906

macmikeman said:
Trust me, I tried. They keep refering me to the customer installation manual, and the manual says no ground rod, no hookup. It only took 10 years or so for them to come up to speed on what to do when the incoming water line was plastic, so in 10 more years I will let you know how it turns out.

Of course, a ground rod is easy for them to check on, being outside. They don't need to enter the building to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.