grounding two services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaTerminator

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm replacing two 100 a fuseboxes with two 100 a panels.(located side by side)
I want to only run one #6 to the rods and only one #4 for the water pipe.
Is there any way to do this without splicing and using crimp connectors or exothermic welding ?
My supply house wasn't familiar with the busbar alternative either in 250.64 (C)...
Do I loop thru one panel and terminate it to the second? (Similar to how you jump from one ground rod to the other)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are many ways to do this. One way is to run a #4 GEC from the water pipe and connect a bonding jumper to each panel with a split bolt. You can also connect the rod bonding jumper to the GEC with a split bolt as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How is using a split bolt considered a " continuous length without a splice or joint" for the GEC ?

Take a look at this graphic from the NECH. You will see that the GEC is the #2 and the other conductors (#8 and #4) are bonding jumpers. Only the GEC is required to be continuous or irreversibly spliced, the connection of bonding jumpers to the GEC is not required to be irreversible.

250.66%2520Taps.JPG

iwire

Staff member
How is using a split bolt considered a " continuous length without a splice or joint" for the GEC ?

It is not, but the requirement for continuous is 250.64(C) and if you look at 250.64(D) you will find they allow taps from the GEC when there are multiple disconnects.

That is what infinity's graphic illustrates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.