Grounding vs. Grounding Electrode Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Re: Grounding vs. Grounding Electrode Conductors

I'm not picking on the inspectors, I'm saying they and the industry in general have honed in on the ground electrode resistance (at least around here) as the all important solution to grounding issues. I feel this approach is misguided and focuses too much time and attention away from important issues we should address , IMO.

As for inspectors, I feel (around here) that you get what you pay for. Why would a young knowledgeable person quit working for $30.00 an hour with good benefits to work for 2/3 that amount with similar or less benefits.

Some of our inspectors are older and looking for a softer life from construction, some are injured electricians. From what I've seen in some of the local jurisdictions (we have 18 separate jurisdictions, we are licensed in) The inspectors are as good as their management support, those that are encouraged to further their education are good and try, those that have sorry management have less than acceptable electrical inspectors.

G

The main thing working against the inspector is time. Many (most in my experience) urban jurisdictions do not give the inspector ample time to do a complete inspection. Instead they are given a short list of things to look for. If you pass the short list they look no deeper. The sad part is that usually because of time if you fail the short list they don't look much (or any) deeper :)

If you fail a majority of the short list they should be allowed to red tag the job and bring in the "SWAT" team. What I mean is they should call for backup and do a complete inspection-- because as pointed out an uncorrected NEC violation is a violation forever. It may be aggravating if an inspector calls out new violations on a re-inspection, but better safe than sorry. Personally I welcome the inspector and any constructive criticism s/he brings forth.

No reply is necessary-- straying off the topic-- should we start a new thread?

brian john

I'm not for changing definitions but if changing the WORD would help end even a littleof the confusiion I would be all for it.

kqresq

I am coming in a little late on this thread, but I have to say that I find grounding and bonding to be the most confusing aspect of the trade. At least 75% of the work I inspect have grounding and bonding issues. Not only do the electricians seem confused by it, but I can't even find 3 of any tradesmen, inspectors, or engineers who seem to agree. This tends to make me even doubt myself at times. Then, when it looks like I might have a handle on it again, Bennie pipes up and scrambles it all again (if I knew how to insert one of those smiley faces, it would go here). Even this Forum tends to not answer questions on the topic, just adds more confusion because no one can agree.

karl riley

If you really want clarity on grounding and bonding I suggest you obtain Mike Holt's Grounding and Bonding video, which includes a well illustrated book which you can use to show electricians, engineers, etc. to back up your decisions.

(Disclaimer: I am not a salesman for Mike Holt and receive no remuneration even though part of my EMF video is included in his video).

Karl Riley

Status
Not open for further replies.