Grounding Xfrmr

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am replacing about (10) 45 and 75kva xfrms. Within electrical closets. There are no grounding details just a note to ground per NEC 250. This is very vague and not sure how to approach pricing up grounding. I guess I can take to a ground bar in the room or building steel in the room? Since there are not detail I would qualify grounding limited to the room and not beyond.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I am replacing about (10) 45 and 75kva xfrms. Within electrical closets. There are no grounding details just a note to ground per NEC 250. This is very vague and not sure how to approach pricing up grounding. I guess I can take to a ground bar in the room or building steel in the room? Since there are not detail I would qualify grounding limited to the room and not beyond.
Since you are replacing transformers, why wouldn't your clarification be "reuse existing ground only."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this a steel famed building? If so just run the GEC's to the nearest building steel. If all 10 transformers are in the same room you could install a ground bar.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The reference to Article 250 will require you to provide a connection to a grounding electrode per the requirements for separately derived systems...250.30