GROUNDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarbrey

Can the cold water piping ground be installed at the service panel? What I have is a service disconnect located about 150' from the service disconnect. The water service is located at the location of the service panel. My question is that may I install the cold water ground to the service panel and install a conductor from the ground bar at the service panel back to the service disconnect, keeping the service panel's neutral and ground seperate?
Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: GROUNDING

The GEC from the water pipe must be landed at the panel that has the main bonding jumper.
Don

rbarbrey

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
The GEC from the water pipe must be landed at the panel that has the main bonding jumper.
Don
THanks for that information. Is there any stipulation on the length of that GC from the water piping. The Disconnect is at least 150' from the service. I have planned on putting supplemental ground.

bphgravity

There is no NEC requirment for GEC length, however there may be a question of performance capabilities for a significantly long run.

sparky59

what about an apartment building with the disconnect on the outside of the building. Does the water pipe bond have to go outside to the disconnect?

bphgravity

Generally, the water piping should be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where sufficient sized, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. See section 250.104(A)(1) or perhaps your particular installation may comply with 250.104(A)(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.