Grouping of Service Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi all,
I'm looking at upsizing an existing service switch that's located inside an electrical room (replacing an existing 400 amp switch with an 800 amp switch). There's a total of 6 existing service switches inside this electrical room. Because of some physical restraints inside the room, it would be easier to place this new upsized switch right outside the room (on the other side of one of the walls). After thinking about it, I don't think this is allowed since according to section 230.72(A) of the NEC, all the service switches of the disconnecting means must be 'grouped'. So I can't locate this switch remotely from the others. It has to be inside the electrical room. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
After thinking about it, I don't think this is allowed since according to section 230.72(A) of the NEC, all the service switches of the disconnecting means must be 'grouped'. So I can't locate this switch remotely from the others. It has to be inside the electrical room. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks!
Yes IMO they need to be physically near each other in the same room to be grouped.

Grouch1980

Yes IMO they need to be physically near each other in the same room to be grouped.
If there wasn't an actual room, i could place that switch where I was thinking at first... but since there's an actual electrical room, with 2 hour rated walls, that's now forcing me to place the new upsized switch inside the room to keep everything grouped.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there wasn't an actual room, i could place that switch where I was thinking at first... but since there's an actual electrical room, with 2 hour rated walls, that's now forcing me to place the new upsized switch inside the room to keep everything grouped.
I agree. We had a job a few years ago where we installed a 2000 amp service switch outside of the service room. The inspector failed it even though we had an approved advisory board drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.