Guidance on completing an Engineering Degree as mature student!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnCTech

I am a Protection & Control Techologist at a major Power Utility in Ontario, Canada. As my title implys, I am not an engineer but instead an Electrical Techologist (three year Community College Program in Ontario, Canada). I perform daily maintenance and commissioning of new and existing Power Equipment Protection and Control. It was always my goal to become an Engineer but in my senior year of highschool I lost my motivation and settled with a technology program instead (not sure what Technologists are refered as in the US, maybe associate degree). However I do wish to still complete my engineering degree or at least further my knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline as well as other Power System Engineering Topics. Are there any Fellow Techologists/Technicians, Engineers, Masters of Engineering or PhD Engineers out there that may be able to provide guideance on how to accomplish this goal. A few ideas I have so far are: perform a type of self-taught engineering program via MIT OCW, take a web based engineering program or Protective Relaying Program, take a few years of work and complete my degree, or take Manufacturer/University taught protective relay courses/conferences. One area of protective relaying I would definitely wish to expand my knowledge in is Generator Protection specifically for a 900MW+ size synchronous generator. Well, I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my posting. Hopefully you will be able to assist myself in completing my career goals. Feel free to add any questions you may have to the post. I may also be able to help you complete your own career goals. Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I would skip the self-taught or web based programs. If you really want an engineering degree, go to a standard college or university.

It may be different in Canada, but here in the US, almost none of the classes that one would take to get an associate degree or a technical degree will count toward an engineering degree. You may be starting over from scratch. But I hope that won't discourage you. Your knoweledge from those classes will give you a practacle, common sense understanding of all the engineering theory you will be bombarded with.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? If you're 30 ish, go for the engineering degree. If you're 55, maybe not.

drbond24

I agree with Steve. The absolute best way to go is to physically attend the classes at a college or university. There are web based programs out there that would get you the degree if you have the self discipline to complete the work, but you would still not get the laboratory time and one on one instruction you would receive at a college.

I also agree that you need to expect that most, if not all, of the classes you've already taken will be useless. Perhaps things like English or History could be tranferred, but then you probably didn't need to take much of that for your community college degree anyway. Perhaps you could take web based classes for these basic requirements and only attend school when you get to the engineering classes.

rkrieger

Not sure but............

Not sure but............

I'm not sure if they have a "remote" off campus program, but check out Kettering University in Flint, MI. (Used to be called GMI). I think they have an E.E. program. Also, don't know where in Ontario you are, but they are only about 70 miles from Sarnia at the river.

For what's it worth.

RLK

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I took a look a few years ago, and found there was only one school offering a remote EE degree. ND I think. And you still had to attend for several weeks a year for labs.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not sure how well you remember your math and physics, but the first year Engineering program can really kick your butt especially if you've lost you basic algebra and trig skills.

One you go through the 4 years, you may be disappointed. Engineers don't know jack when they come out of school as far as practical experience. They don't get the NEC, they don't get much real at all except "ideal" components and abstract concepts. You'd need a graduate program to get hands on with more real things (non-ideal components) and possibly advanced things. I had a difficult time because I had actually built circuits and wired things in my teens. None of that mattered in college, and the circuits were not real (e.g. find the current in resistor A in some crazed criss-crossed matrix circuit). But it did help me to understand why a capacitor was a certain size and why a resistor is a certain size.

If you want a degree baecause you can get more money, that is one thing (and in many companies, which 4-year degree you have doesn't matter as long as you have one). If you're looking to advance your knowledge or skill, consider just taking classes to learn or go get the book for the class and read it yourself.

72.5kv

I completed the EE program in May 07. It is a mental boot camp. Schooling gives you a good foundation from which to build on, but there is still a lot more learning to do. As one professor told me, on engineering program can fully prepare you. Before you jump in, begin to brush up on your algebra and trig.

72.5kv

Personally I would not take EE classes online. Who do you turn to ask a question if something is not clear. These courses sink most people Electromagnetic fields & Waves, Signals and Systems, Random Signals and Processes. They are called the bottle necks, nothing really make sense until you have a good grasp on them. Also forming a study group is a plus.

Last edited:

Mike03a3

PnCTech said:
I do wish to still complete my engineering degree or at least further my knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline as well as other Power System Engineering Topics.
While I admire your desire to go back and complete your degree, I cannot imagine that doing so will contribute much to enhancing your knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline. I'm a bit out of date (my class is having the 40th reunion in April) but I believe that most EE curricula are pretty much focused on electronics these days. Perhaps one of the other members can shed some light on this.

In any event, you would spend two years covering a lot of general engineering courses that are common to all branches of engineering before spending the last two primarily on EE material. As several others have pointed out, your will most likely be starting over from scratch and may even need some remedial math if you haven't had occasion to keep your math skills fresh.

After four years (assuming you're full time) of very hard work you will be qualified to take an EIT exam and find a job where you can start learning to be an engineer in your chosen specialty. In my opinion, an engineering degree gives you a wide, but shallow, exposure to a lot of engineering disciplines and (hopefully) the analytical skills to logically solve engineering problems. You learn a little about a lot, but you don't learn a lot about anything. That's on the job training.

72.5kv

Mike03a3 said:
In my opinion, an engineering degree gives you a wide, but shallow, exposure to a lot of engineering disciplines

Your could have not said it better Mike. Electrical engineering is just to broad. Yes alot of school don't cover power systems anymore. The new things is to cover electronics, controls, communication, dsp. Heck my school only has 4 courses dedicated to power system. Having ask a professor what is that so, his so explanation is that school are market driven. During the mid 70s up until now the electrical engineering industry went in the direction of electronics and the universities followed also. Power systems classes fell to the waste side.

bcorbin

How old are you? I graduated with my BSEE at the age of 37, so you're never too old.

I think getting a bachelor's remotely is a bad idea, given that so much of it is theory. Unless you're just the smartest guy to ever walk the planet, you're going to run into a lot of stuff that you're going to need the help of an instructor to muscle through. Working while going to school for four years is rough too. Prepare yourself for it and remind yourself why you're there every day...several times.

I think you would be surprised by how little of what you do now is taught at the undergrad level. I can't comment on the graduate level, because I haven't done that....yet. Perhaps it is the same way.

ed downey

I graduated with a Degree in Construction Science & Management and then went on to work for an Electrical Contractor and took the Masters Electrician test. I then switched jobs about 8 years ago and thought it would be nice to get an EE degree (So I could eventually get a PE, Not that I will ever use it for anything) so I started back to school in the Evenings at University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC). I can tell you it has been a long road to get to this point I started taking one to two classes a semester (Mostly one) and have been at it now for 7 1/2 years. I have about 3 years left to complete. It takes a lot of sacrfices by you and your family to go through with this. This semester I have 2 classes and am away from the house until 9:30 Pm or 10:00 pm three nights a week (Luckily I have a great wife who supports me in this endeavor).

When I started I looked for classes I could take on line but with the number of Labs it is hard for a University to offer this degree program on line that is ABET accredited. I have worked with the Advisors here at UMKC and they try to make sure that there is a night class that falls in my degree path offered during each semester which is a very nice benifit of this program (Also it is only about 15 minutes from the office).

Hope this helps.

-Ed

PnCTech

I guess I didn't clearly state my primary focus which is to expand my knowledge of the Power System Protective Relaying discipline as much as possible to allow myself to exceed in that discipline that I seem to really enjoy. The Engineering Degree was kind of a side note that I was considering if it were to improve my abilities at being a Protective Relaying Technologist. With my present salary, benefits and job security I can't see myself completly returning to school but was considering it if it could be done without affecting my job. I really appreciate all of your posts and I think I will stick with Protective Relaying forums, conferences, Manufacturers courses and self-study to further my advancement in the field. I will not eliminate the possiblity of one day returning to school to get the B.Eng or higher.

Brandon
PnC Rules
Protective Relaying runs the Electrical world.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
PnCTech said:
I guess I didn't clearly state my primary focus which is to expand my knowledge of the Power System Protective Relaying discipline as much as possible to allow myself to exceed in that discipline that I seem to really enjoy. The Engineering Degree was kind of a side note that I was considering if it were to improve my abilities at being a Protective Relaying Technologist. With my present salary, benefits and job security I can't see myself completly returning to school but was considering it if it could be done without affecting my job. I really appreciate all of your posts and I think I will stick with Protective Relaying forums, conferences, Manufacturers courses and self-study to further my advancement in the field. I will not eliminate the possiblity of one day returning to school to get the B.Eng or higher.

Brandon
PnC Rules
Protective Relaying runs the Electrical world.

If that's your goal, then I agree. An engineering degree probably wouldn't help you learn more about protecive relaying.

And for advancement in your current job, or for self improvement, I think self-taught classes and web based learning is great.

I just wouldn't reccomend that type of training for someone trying to break into engineering or a new field. When considering new hires, employers just don't give much (if any) credit to web based or correspondence learning. (Granted, there are exceptions. Microsoft engineers are probably one.)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.