gym lights: protect from damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
LED high bays really don't need wire cages. Most manufacturers still offer them as an option, but in my experience it's primarily so that they can still get their products into school districts that have out of date construction specifications requiring wire guards for their gym fixtures (usually right there next to the requirement that the contractor provide extra lamps and ballasts).

I've done dozens of K-12 gyms in the last 8 years, and I have not put wire guards on any of them. Haven't had any issues.

Ideal spec - ABV3 with 120° diffused lens / 24,000 lumen package / 80CRI / 4000K
VE spec - ARC with 21,000 lumen package / 4000K

The ARC is a great performer, cost is just kept WAY down by offering very few variations of the fixture.

Recommend spacing approx. 15' between columns and 16' between rows on center.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Guards are only needed for metal halide or mercury vapor per the NEC. I just inspected a new "arena" at a small private college. They used LED's. No guards required or installed. High bays like the ones in the link in Post #2.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was a rather mischievous student. We would purposefully kick the balls aiming for the lights to see who could bust one first.
😐

That’s when they had paddling in school. I got those often and my mother matched them when I got home.

I was a rather mischievous student. We would purposefully kick the balls aiming for the lights to see who could bust one first.
😐

That’s when they had paddling in school. I got those often and my mother matched them when I got home.
I was going to say.....I think guards are a necessity in a gym. I remember trying to take out the gym lights throughout pretty much my whole middle and high school career.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Volleyball games often put the ball into the joists. And sometimes will hit a fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.