Hand hole sizing

Rfoster66

Occupation
Electrician
So I was asked by our onsite engineer (civil) what is the minimum size hand hole for a single 1-1/2” conduit (in and out straight through pull) with a 2 hour fire rated wire. Duct bank is 3’ below finished grade. Currently slated for a 2’x2’ quazite style hand hole box.

Are underground boxes same as junction boxes?
1.5”x8=12”?

What is they were to 90 up and out in the hand hole with a U bend?

What size should this box be and what NEC code should we look at. 314.30? Thanks

Note from drawing;
PULL 3#8,1#8G PRYSMAIN LIFELINE 2 HOUR FIRE
RESISTIVE RHW-2 CONDUCTORS THAT MEET
UL2196 TO SOURCE 1 CONNECTION IN FIRE PUMP
CONTROLLER. ROUTE THRU HH-FP-1

Thanks for your help and advice.

Ryan

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That cable likely has a minimum bending radius, and that limit may require an enclosure larger than what is required by the code.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Pulling hand holes or manholes are sized much larger than pullboxes, for example look at the size of your 2x2 compared to code size

With a 2x2 quazite box the duct bank is below the box bottom. Are you using 90s up into the box, with a short nipple on end? Quazite does make box extensions, but with 90s and a nipple you can fill the bottom with peagravel
Or will the 90s put you over 360 of bends?
If straight thru you will need a much deeper handhole

Last edited:

Rfoster66

Occupation
Electrician
Pulling hand holes or manholes are sized much larger than pillboxes, for example look at the size of your 2x2 compared to code size

With a 2x2 quazite box the duct bank is below the box bottom. Are you using 90s up into the box, with a short nipple on end? Quazite does make box extensions, but with 90s and a nipple you can fill the bottom with peagravel
Thanks for your reply, I’m not actually doing the work, it was just a question that was asked. I do appreciate the feedback and I will follow up with them on the actual installation.

Rfoster66

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for your reply, I’m not actually doing the work, it was just a question that was asked. I do appreciate the feedback and I will follow up with them on the actual installation.
Do you have a code or calculation for Manhole/Handhole sizing?

Rfoster66

Occupation
Electrician
Pulling hand holes or manholes are sized much larger than pillboxes, for example look at the size of your 2x2 compared to code size

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No. Smallest handhole I used was 12x18 concrete with steel lid. I don’t like the quazite boxes as the screw holes get full of dirt. They are lighter than concrete and have a traffic rating. Look in the quazite catalog to see what sizes they have.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
When I see the word "Hand Hole" I am thinking of Public Works language. Like a hand hole for a light standard ?