Handyman Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I got called to fix a receptacle that wasn't working. I was told that their handyman changed the device but it still didn't work. This is what I found. After I re-did the receptacle wiring. I reset the tripped GFCI controlling the outlet and charged them my minimum one hour service call fee. I was there 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 20181026_110218a.jpg
    20181026_110218a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181026_110230a.jpg
    20181026_110230a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 4

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
hey, dey gots da white wire on da white screw.

nuthin ' a couple wraps of harbor freight tape would not 'ave fixed ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I got called to fix a receptacle that wasn't working. I was told that their handyman changed the device but it still didn't work. This is what I found. After I re-did the receptacle wiring. I reset the tripped GFCI controlling the outlet and charged them my minimum one hour service call fee. I was there 10 minutes.

Lucky the GFCI was tripped as those splayed out wires would have contacted that metal box for sure. I don't think I've ever seen such mess terminating stranded wires before. I've seen lots of twisted too tight, turned the wrong way on the screws, strands cut off, but never what you found.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I actually learned from a helper that came from a mostly-commercial background that reverse-twisting the strands helps keep them under the screw head.

While I don't like stranded wire under screws, I also like to keep the loop pinched closed with needle-nose pliers while tightening the screw.

AKElectrician

I actually learned from a helper that came from a mostly-commercial background that reverse-twisting the strands helps keep them under the screw head.

While I don't like stranded wire under screws, I also like to keep the loop pinched closed with needle-nose pliers while tightening the screw.

If you strip a small piece 1/8-1/4" of insulation to slide to the end of the stranded wire it will keep the strands together even better.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The handymen, maintenance men & home improvement men are winning here
:(
In fact, there's more of a market for a failed apprentice, than a licensed spark
:happysad:
~RJ~

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Because the stray strands were touching the box or cover?

No, the receptacle was not working before the handyman did his magic. I installed the original receptacle a couple of years ago so I know there was no short or splayed wires in the original system. They actually called me first to troubleshoot, but didn't like my price. After the handyman had a swing at it and failed, they relented and called me again. Moral of the story: the handyman did not check for power at receptacle and failed to look for a GFCI that was tripped. The owner initially did not like my price, but then ended up paying me AND the handyman.

Good electricians aren't cheap. Cheap electricians aren't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.