Hanging 2 x 4 lay-in fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed downey

Basically in most instances it is a Building Code issue that states you do not need support wires if the ceiling manufacturer approves the installation for support of the light fixtures.

I have not found a ceiling manufacturer that will approve the light fixtures in their ceiling without support wires.

Some old code references (I haven't updated them) regarding support wires {2000 IBC 1621.2.5 & 1997 UBC section 25.213}

Last edited:

Stevareno

The way I read 410.36 (B), all that is 'required' is 'securely fastening' the fixture to the ceiling grid.

Any requirement beyond that is either a locally adopted elecrical code or a city building code.

Around here, most cities require a tek screw (or equivelent) on each end of the fixture. Some are good with just using the clips built into the fixture.

I've only been on one job in a city that required having to independently support 2 x 4 fixtures, and they were good with just 2 wires on opposite corners. And you still had to screw the fixture to the ceiling grid because of 410.36 (B). :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.