hanging a light fixture over a bathtub ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A chain hung or pendant fixture needs to be 8' above the rim of the tub.

Last edited:

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I really wish they would stop featuring chandeliers over tubs and in clothes closets on design websites and TV shows. I am constantly having hard conversations about that not being a safe or legal installation in spite of it being shown in a fancy magazine, etc. Drives me crazy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As I read 410.10(D) you _might_ be able to get away with a recessed or flush fixture mounted on the ceiling, combined with some sort of totally non-electrical light dispersing decoration (fiber optic, mirrors, etc) hanging below and not attached to the fixture.

But I've not tried this at home...

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the only light fixture I can offer is a recessed light, correct?

No, you can use a fixture that is not of the chain or pendant type within the tub zone when it is listed for damp locations. If it were subject to shower spray then it needs to be listed for wet locations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is not an issue with a surface mounted fixture as long as it is rated damp location and as Trevor stated, if subject to spray, it would need to be wet location.

Since a surface mount is over a tub with a 9' ceiling that would make the fixture installed in the tub area.

410.10 (D)
Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub
or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top
of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for
damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to
shower spray.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to make two determinations, is it within the so called 8'X3' tub zone and if so is it subject to shower spray. If it's outside of the tub zone then you can install any fixture type including a chandelier or paddle fan. If it's within the tub zone but not subject to shower spray then it needs to be damp location rated. If in the tub zone and subject to shower spray then wet location rated.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
You need to make two determinations, is it within the so called 8'X3' tub zone and if so is it subject to shower spray. If it's outside of the tub zone then you can install any fixture type including a chandelier or paddle fan. If it's within the tub zone but not subject to shower spray then it needs to be damp location rated. If in the tub zone and subject to shower spray then wet location rated.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I appreciate it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can get ceiling fittings that have a lower profile than one foot.
A quick and dirty search brought up this. I feel sure you can get similar there.

https://www.qvsdirect.com/lunar-28w...=2d635bec71e5c8fa42fb1cc41fddabd7&fo_s=gplauk

Bes-- the measurement is from the rim of the tub in this case. There is no fixture that will be more than 8' above the rim. Even a recessed can-- which is perfectly compliant as most are at least damp location rated and with the right trim they are wet location rated.

kwired

Electron manager
I really wish they would stop featuring chandeliers over tubs and in clothes closets on design websites and TV shows. I am constantly having hard conversations about that not being a safe or legal installation in spite of it being shown in a fancy magazine, etc. Drives me crazy.

If the bath in the magazine has a 12 foot ceiling it may very well be code compliant. Now your client wants to have something just like that picture but only has an 8 or 9 foot ceiling:blink:

Clothes closet a different animal. But then I don't know where to draw the line on some of those you see on TV shows and in magazines as being a clothes closet when the space is possibly larger then my living room and/or just isn't your typical clothes closet arrangement to begin with. The fixture location/types in clothes closets in NEC presumes storage spaces and proximity of combustibles to a luminaire. Many of those are designed that this really isn't an issue - yet NEC doesn't recognize that, but it still is a space intended to store clothes.

In many ways a clothing store is nothing but a huge clothes closet as well.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
See attached...
f5bf1d80e39a9b4f2f420a441e0b7c03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.