Hard wire or receptacle oven or cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been in the trade now for 33+ years. I have never seen an electric oven or electric cooktop with factory installed cord. They always come with a flex whip.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others. The only cooking appliances I have seen with cords are ranges and not all of them come that way. Free standing ranges generally have a setup for a cord and plug but cooktops and ovens have always been direct wired to the flex that is mentioned above.

IMO, if the range comes setup for a cord and plug then you must wire it that way

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Usually the factory flex has a high temperature conductors so they're not suitable for cord or field installed hard wiring.

John120/240

I agree with all of the above responses. We install a breaker lock for hard wired ovens & cooktops. For corded appliances, remove the plug from the receptacle for disconnect purposes.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I agree with all of the above responses. We install a breaker lock for hard wired ovens & cooktops. For corded appliances, remove the plug from the receptacle for disconnect purposes.

This is interesting , all i can think of is 110.25 ? What is your reason for the lock John?

~RJ~

iwire

Staff member
I have been in the trade now for 33+ years. I have never seen an electric oven or electric cooktop with factory installed cord. They always come with a flex whip.

Perhaps the difference between commercial vs homes.

Pretty much every commercial kitchen appliance over 20 amps comes with neither a cord or a whip. The installer chooses one or the other.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Indeed so Mr. Iwire.

So given all the appliances needing disconnects , and considering the recent gfci accessibility concerns, a sub panel w/locking door w/in sight would seem prudent.....

~RJ~

Are you saying that a locking door on a panel would be a substitute for a disconnecting means?

iwire

Staff member
Indeed so Mr. Iwire.

So given all the appliances needing disconnects , and considering the recent gfci accessibility concerns, a sub panel w/locking door w/in sight would seem prudent.....

~RJ~

A panel with a locking door is nice however it does not meet the requirements of 422.31(B).

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Then i stand corrected gentlemen & thank you....:)

Most of my reading in 422 orbits 110.25 , thus my confusion

110.25 requires the 'locking means' to stay on the disconnect , iirc a '14 inclusion to 422.31

What is the optimum install that meets this now?

~RJ~

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Perhaps the difference between commercial vs homes.

Pretty much every commercial kitchen appliance over 20 amps comes with neither a cord or a whip. The installer chooses one or the other.

Free standing residential ranges come without a cord or whip but it is set up for a cord and plug not direct wire. I have never seen one direct wired unless it was a lay in unit and they have whips.

The reason they don't install the cords is because some older homes don't have 4 wire receptacles. They used to ask what cord was needed and they would supply it. Now they don't supply them at all.

iwire

Staff member
Free standing residential ranges come without a cord or whip but it is set up for a cord and plug not direct wire.

What does that mean? If it has no whip or cord you can chose to install either.

The reason they don't install the cords is because some older homes don't have 4 wire receptacles. They used to ask what cord was needed and they would supply it. Now they don't supply them at all.

Cords on what? Cooktops, ovens ranges?

I have never seen any of those items have a factory installed cord alaways an option.

kwired

Electron manager
Indeed so Mr. Iwire.

~RJ~
Going back to what you originally mentioned - if the panel is within sight of the appliance no lock is needed.

What is required in 110.25 is that when a locking means is needed/required by another code section such as the one in 422.31(B) is that the locking means must remain in place when not being used. Your clamp on type locking devices that attach to the handle are not acceptable in these circumstances. You may still find you need them to comply with a LOTO program for items the NEC doesn't require a locking means for though.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Going back to what you originally mentioned - if the panel is within sight of the appliance no lock is needed.

What is required in 110.25 is that when a locking means is needed/required by another code section such as the one in 422.31(B) is that the locking means must remain in place when not being used. Your clamp on type locking devices that attach to the handle are not acceptable in these circumstances. You may still find you need them to comply with a LOTO program for items the NEC doesn't require a locking means for though.

I'm confused Mr Kwired...:(

110.25's recent inclusion means
the locking means must remain in place when not being used
, as you stated>>>

110.25 Lockable Disconnecting Means. Where a discon-
necting means is required to be lockable open elsewhere in
this Code, it shall be capable of being locked in the open
position. The provisions for locking shall remain in place
with or without the lock installed.

Exception: Cord-and-plug connection locking provisions
shall not be required to remain in place ~vithout the lock
installed.

If a locking panel door is no longer acceptable , then the only thing a 'panel w/insight' achieves is the disconnect w/in sight, not the lotto compliance.

Now if they's just make appliances lotto capable , i suppose this wouldn't be an issue

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
I'm confused Mr Kwired...:(

110.25's recent inclusion means , as you stated>>>

If a locking panel door is no longer acceptable , then the only thing a 'panel w/insight' achieves is the disconnect w/in sight, not the lotto compliance.

Now if they's just make appliances lotto capable , i suppose this wouldn't be an issue

~RJ~
I don't believe a lockable panel door was ever considered an acceptable locking means - unless maybe it was a single breaker enclosure. You need to be able to lock the individual circuit not just a panel door.

And yes putting it within sight relieves you from needing a locking attachment - per NEC. Your LOTO program may still want you to lock it off when servicing that appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.