Hard wire or receptacle oven or cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I don't believe a lockable panel door was ever considered an acceptable locking means - unless maybe it was a single breaker enclosure. You need to be able to lock the individual circuit not just a panel door.

And yes putting it within sight relieves you from needing a locking attachment - per NEC. Your LOTO program may still want you to lock it off when servicing that appliance.

I agree on both points.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I don't believe a lockable panel door was ever considered an acceptable locking means - unless maybe it was a single breaker enclosure. You need to be able to lock the individual circuit not just a panel door.

Iirc, it was addressed in some past code cycle....

And yes putting it within sight relieves you from needing a locking attachment - per NEC. Your LOTO program may still want you to lock it off when servicing that appliance.

Could you please point this out in the nec?

~RJ~

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What does that mean? If it has no whip or cord you can chose to install either.
The ranges I have seen have a 3/4" ko and 3 terminals inside the range. IMO, this is designed for a cord however I can imagine one could fight a piece of 8 nm with a lug or stakon. Why would you do that especially since there is no way to fasten the wiring. NM cable doesn't have the flexibility of a range cord. The terminals are very close to the ko so I guess if you want to run it in there and fight it then by all means. I just don't think it was designed for that.

Cords on what? Cooktops, ovens ranges?

I have never seen any of those items have a factory installed cord alaways an option.

I have never seen a residential oven without a whip. Even the double ovens have a whip. Slid in ranges have whips but free standing ranges have the KO which , again, IMO is set up for a range cord. Does the instructions say uses a cord--- IDK,,,

FWIW -- from Maytag
**If connecting to a 50-amp circuit, use a 50-amp rated cord withkit. For 50-amp rated cord kits, use kits that specify use with anominal 1³⁄₈" (34.9 mm) diameter connection opening.

kwired

Electron manager
Iirc, it was addressed in some past code cycle....

Could you please point this out in the nec?

~RJ~
422.31(B):

For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25

If within sight NEC doesn't require a locking means. That don't mean your LOTO program won't require you to lock that equipment off if working on it. NEC doesn't cover LOTO programs. You could possibly use a portable locking device in that situation though

RICK NAPIER

I believe one reason residential ranges or dryers don't come with a cord is that it could need a three or four wire cord depending on what the receptacle is.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe one reason residential ranges or dryers don't come with a cord is that it could need a three or four wire cord depending on what the receptacle is.
I think that is a major reason. If we wouldn't have two possible receptacles that are "standard" for each of them, they likely would come with a cord already attached, and likely wouldn't be designed for ready access to the cord terminations, at least not as easy as the access typically is now.

growler

Some ovens and cooktops come corded with 30amp plugs. Does the code read to only hard wire these appliances ?

Perhaps the difference between commercial vs homes.

Pretty much every commercial kitchen appliance over 20 amps comes with neither a cord or a whip. The installer chooses one or the other.

These probably are commerial appliances the OP is talking about. His profile says that he is a project manager.

On the restaurants that I have done the prints will show if the appliance is to be cord connected or hard wired. First you do what's on the prints and then get paid to change it when management changes their mind.

It's natuaral that we should think of residential appliances when someone says ovens and cook tops. The OP should clarify things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.