hard wiring still allowed for gd and dw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

I have seen stoves and garbage disposals both hardwired and plug wired. But I have never, so far, run across a dishwasher hard wired. Not sure I would like to, either.
Luckily, most of the dishwashers and garbage disposals I have put in have plugs on them already. Just wondering though, do they make fuses in the USA like we use on some switches over here? My dishwasher here is on a DP fused switch... so I can pull the switch fuse out and it is locked off until I replace the fuse... even though I still install my lockout on the breaker...

In Michigan, the disposal must be cord and plug connected with an outlet under the cabinet and a switch over the countertop. Dishwashers must be hard-wired with a GFI breaker in the box (210.8 D)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In Michigan, the disposal must be cord and plug connected with an outlet under the cabinet and a switch over the countertop. Dishwashers must be hard-wired with a GFI breaker in the box (210.8 D)

No cord and plug dishwashers? Any reason why?

kwired

Electron manager
I've never seen or been asked by an inspector for a breaker lock in residential, you guys? Even a hard wired oven or cook top.
Outside of local amendments, NEC requires breaker lock in all installations, residential or not, if there is no local disconnect at the appliance. Your inspectors must not be fully aware of the requirements, are used to seeing what has been common and never look into it any. Once someone catches on you will be red tagged, or they will be nice and tell you not to do it that way anymore.

olc

It could but typically they're on the counter top and I have heard an inspector say that it's not within sight when you're working under the sink.

That's a pretty harsh interpretation.

I have installed disposals and I don't actually get under the sink.

I suppose you could install another switch under the sink - or cord & plug.

kwired

Electron manager
That's a pretty harsh interpretation.

I have installed disposals and I don't actually get under the sink.

I suppose you could install another switch under the sink - or cord & plug.

I know one plumber that I have seen that gets entirely inside typical kitchen sink base and makes up final supply and drain connections.

He is obviously not a big guy, but just looking at him seems fairly average size- must just be a contortionist.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Local interpretation on dishwashers: If you hard wire (no local switch, no j box) then AFCI is not required. Cord & plug, switch (device) or j box (outlet) = AFCI.

That said, most of the ones installed here are cord & plug.

gaelectric

It's not just you. I've never seen a hardwired DW, either. And they are all screwed and fixed under the counter, usually next to the sink, and the cord and drain go through a cabinet wall hole and hook up under the sink. They are plugged in to a receptacle, usually a duplex that is half-hot/half-switched and sharing a MWBC with the garbage disposal.

This is the way it is commonly done in this area as well. Used to see hard wired DW and disposals but not for a long time.

kwired

Electron manager
Local interpretation on dishwashers: If you hard wire (no local switch, no j box) then AFCI is not required. Cord & plug, switch (device) or j box (outlet) = AFCI.

That said, most of the ones installed here are cord & plug.
Any idea on the justification for that rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.