Hardwire hid fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire monk

Is it a code violation to hardwire 1000 watt m/h fixtures in a large warehouse.. I was told they have to have a plug and recp.. They are 480 volt. 3 phase.

ronmath

I don't think so, see 410.24 (A). They are "permitted" to be cord connected per 410.62 (C). It might be a specified requirement or Owner requirement however for ease of maintenance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They are allowed to be hardwired If they are connected by a cord, it must be cord & plug (with exceptions).
You mentioned 480v. Hopefully the service is 480/277 or you will be in vioation of 210.6(D).

izak

are you sure that they are 3 phase?
and not single phase (2 pole breaker) ?

ive not seen any 3 phase lights, and cannot think of a reason why one would need one.....

RUWired

I have to ask this because it could apply to the op's question. Does 410.130(G)3 apply to 410.130(G)1 or does it apply to 410 part XIII?

Rick

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have to ask this because it could apply to the op's question. Does 410.130(G)3 apply to 410.130(G)1 or does it apply to 410 part XIII?

Rick

interesting :D
the section could have been arranged better with "flourescent" in the heading.
I certainly may be wr.. wr.. wrong (not uncommon) but I'd say (3) is in reference to (1) and only includes flourescent fixtures with double-end lamps but my thoughts may be biased.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you can't cord whip into a fixture without a recep, then I've created A LOT of violations.

Low bays I always cord-and-plug though. A lot easier to reballast on the ground.

wire monk

the service is 480/277 v they are hook up to a 2 pole breaker they have a rubber cord attached to them.. do you need to put a cord cap andrecp?? are can you run the rubber cord to a box and mc cable from box to box.

Status
Not open for further replies.