Hardwired smoke detectors 120volts, battery backup per device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Those are sometimes called "direct wire" smoke detectors, for example the System Sensor Model 2012H Photoelectric. You can wire it up with easy to run four conductor 18 gauge wire! A big advantage is no future semi-electrician will mistake your 14 gauge smoke detector run for a good place to add a 15 amp outlet. And you can more easily branch off an existing 20 amp circuit for the detectors.

The 2012H is a smoke alarm, not just a detector. "Built-in 85dB electronic horn with temporal (3) tone NFPA72 required audible emergency evacuation signal". Check for battery backup options.

And it runs at 12 volts DC, not 120 AC. And, there is no battery backup, optional or otherwise.

brycenesbitt

I'd love to find a 12V system WITH battery backup. It would make retrofit hardware smoke detectors easier, reduce runs of hazardous line voltage, and reduce copper use.

the blur

I'd love to find a 12V system WITH battery backup. It would make retrofit hardware smoke detectors easier, reduce runs of hazardous line voltage, and reduce copper use.

I have a job now, the HO got permits for a shed, and fence, and now the inspector wants hard wired smokes, and CO detectors in the house. They enforce that 1 specific code for life safety.

I don't get the logic, and a low voltage system would be so much easier.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a job now, the HO got permits for a shed, and fence, and now the inspector wants hard wired smokes, and CO detectors in the house. They enforce that 1 specific code for life safety.

I don't get the logic, and a low voltage system would be so much easier.

While I'm sympathetic regarding the ends, that's just crazy. And you'd never be able to push that in NJ, not if the HO has even the remotest clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.