Has anyone else done this yet???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctroyp

Has anyone else made the mistake and terminated your neutral on the neutral bar when it is supposed to terminate on an AFCI breaker and you had to make a joint in the panel to reach the AFCI breaker? Come on fess up...
Have you had any problems with your inspection with the wire nuts in the panel?

macmikeman

Re: Has anyone else done this yet???

What I found that helps me to not mistakenly connect a neutral wire into the neutral bus instead of the afci is to twist around each other the neutral and hot wire at the time I strip the cable. I put the two wire ends into my cordless and give it a brief wirr. Now when I install the breakers later after paint and drywall its easy to remember the neutral wire going into the afci breaker.

ctroyp

Thats not a bad idea Mike. I know it's not a code violation, but some of the inspectors frown on it an may cause reason to look deeper into the rest of your installation.

lol

ctroyp

Scott:

I nearly had a problem. I passed the inspection, but he made it clear that he didn't care too much for seeing the wirenuts in the panel. Who knows...

Hey, as long as he's happy, I'm usually happy! :D

ctroyp

Bingo, but I wouldn't tell him that.
anbet2.gif

hurk27

Mike we started doing somthing simular. We now cut a short leanght of the sheath from the romex and write what circuit on it then slip it back on the wires. We do this on all home runs when we pull them we leave this sleave on the hot wires by the breaker after we trim out the panel. And boy does it make it easier to label the panel too. and even if the label gets messed up you can take the cover off and remark it without tracing the circuits.

big john

Hurk27,

So, you're saying you leave the Romex sheath on the hot conductor as a label even after that conductor is terminated on the breaker?

Thanks.

-John

G

I'll jump in here before this thread falls off the conveyor:

1. Before stripping the Romex sheath you circumscribe about an inch of the sheath with your knife (you score the sheath around its circumferance).

2. You pop off that little tube of sheath and flatten it out so you can write on it.

3. You strip the sheath back to the connector in the panel and dispose of it. Or, you may have another method of getting the sheath off the cable assembly. Whatever, just strip like you normally would to expose the conductors back to the Romex connector.

4. You get out your Sharpie pen (fine-point) and write the name of the circuit on the little sheath tube you created. This becomes a wire marker (label).

5. You slide that custom label back onto the conductor(s).

6. You land your conductors as needed.

You now have a neat little permanent label on the cable assembly where it enters the panel.

If this word picture does not work, let me know and I'll snap a digital photo of one when I get a chance.

Of course there are other labeling protocols, but this is a low-cost and easy one that really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.