Has anyone seen this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterelect1

This is new to me. A friend has a sibling who has a B&B with a large ballroom with approx. 40 chandeliers with multiple low wattage lights. He tells me that there is one (1) dimmer switch controlling all the lights. The system is not working as the lights are full bright all the time regardless of the position of the dimmer. "Someone" came in and looked at the system and quoted a price of $15K.

Has anyone here seen this type of system and if so what is the theory behind this operation.

I have not dealt with this type of set up and would like to have some idea as to what I am looking at prior to trying to help out a friend.

Thanks, John

boater bill

I just replaced a 12 channel dimming system at my church after a lightning strike. $15K would buy you a LOT of controls and options. 1200 watts, 12 channel NSI dimming module cost less than $2000.

I would like to find out more of the existing system for sure before spending that much money.

barbeer

I know that there are some old dimming systems out there that are obsolete and possibly the only fix is to retrofit the system? and 15k is not out of line. If you look real hard you can sometimes find replacement parts for the old ones. Lutron makes a nice system these days.

wireguru

how old is the place? some of those older balrooms have a motor driven variac dimming the lights controlled by a double throw momentary center off switch on the wall for brightness up/down. Often these variacs would be huge 3 phase units which would supply a panelboard which would then in turn supply the fixtures.

How big are the chandeliers?

$15k does seem high at first, but if there are 40 fixtures with 30x 40w lamp in them, thats 48kw worth of dimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.