hassled by inspector today

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Why would it require a new meter base if you replaced the conductors ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sight unseen, I think, out of curiosity, had I been the inspector I might have asked the same question. Assuming you did not have to replace the meter base, the difference is replacing 30' of conductor vs having to purchase and install the splicing method might not be that much and I think anytime you can avoid a splice is a positive step.
To me his question seems reasonable and perhaps a "hint" that you might review the decision on future jobs.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Coulda been one of those installations where you really did not want to mess around in the meter base, no room, etc, etc, etc.
Not to mention he has already said customer did not want to spend the money.

I deal with that nearly every job I look at. I can't price a job cheap enough. I am finally learning to quit striving for the ideal methods because NO ONE will pay for them. Do the cheapest job I can live with, that will pass inspection and let it go. I've tried every way I know to get people interested in quality work, to think ahead on safety and reliability. They like it until having to pay for it.

hurk27

If splices to service entrance conductors are bad to do then we have allot of problems with the many taps to feed more then one meter from one drop?

I'll agree if the wire is old cloth covered rubber in bad crumbling shape then in no way would I leave it, but in good condition I have no problem with splices or taps.

Another thing to watch out for is those old meter bases were never ment to have more then one neutral under the square washer with a nut, that is why we see many of them where the neutral just passes through it to the panel, so just replacing the conductors to the panel would require replacing the neutral all the way to the weather head.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I give estimates to customers on what I'm going to do, not what they think i should do.

I like the idea of giving the customer the options up front. Telling them it has to be done a more costly way than it really needs to be is a little dishonest IMO.
Plus anyone who gets more than one quote will know anyway.

To me it would be similar to having plumber come over to fix a leak in a pipe only to tell me he is going to replace the entire pipe back to it's source.

Anyway I would have no problems splicing wires in good condition if I was confident in the connection.

Occupation
Inspector
I know the OP was talking about a 100A Service. I did a job about a month ago and I made a splice in the panel for the "Hots". The Service is a 150A fed with 1/0 CU in 2" EMT. From the Meter Socket to the panel was about ten feet with an LB at ground level. This would have been very difficult to pull out and install new conductors. Customer is happy and the Inspector has no problem with the final results.

Attachments

• Panel Splice.jpg
    Panel Splice.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0

rt66electric

Do not compromise safety for parts money

Do not compromise safety for parts money

I probably would have replaced the entire condutors, informed the cutomer "That is the cheapest way" without giving a option.

I worked many service calls for a large company- the maint manager said " I'm paying your boss $60/hr thats $1/minute -- donot waste 15min discussing on how to save on a $2 part.

I hate spending time discusssing a cheaper alternatve by using flimsey parts--when I can have the job done in a less amout of time by using what is available.

If they want it done cheaper -- I am happy to suggest someone else (if he is sober and is out-of-jail). yes I can do it cheaper- but- will not because" My insurance will not cover it"

Here is how "YOU" can do it cheaper, But, I in order to keep my liscence, I , cannot.

DENNIS

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I like the idea of giving the customer the options up front. Telling them it has to be done a more costly way than it really needs to be is a little dishonest IMO.
Plus anyone who gets more than one quote will know anyway.

It has nothing to do with pricing it the more costly way.Your not giving them a price on the more costly way, you should be giving them a price on the way you know in your mind it should be,so you can be satisfied with your installation when it is done.

If someone else gives them a cheaper price for doing something I wouldnt be satisfied with to begin with, then I'll let them do the project.

I guess I have a different customer base. They call me because they know it will be done right and I'm honest and fair about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.